Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I installed a disk version of Ubuntu 7.2 on my computer. After installation, Windows XP would no longer boot. If I selected Windows from the opening Grub menu, the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Lost Windows XP Boot in Grub

Hi,

I installed a disk version of Ubuntu 7.2 on my computer. After installation, Windows XP would no longer boot. If I selected Windows from the opening Grub menu, the windows logo shows up, and then the computer reboots. Again and again....

So, I went into the Windows XP disk and reinstalled the boot sector -- no luck. Then, I uninstalled Ubuntu (deleted the partition) and used my Windows 98 disk for format /mbr

Still no luck. The Ubuntu seemed to mess up the boot sector.

Reinstalled Linux (this time using Suse Linux 10.2). Again, Grub sees the Windows partition but it cannot boot. I have all of the Windows files (thankfully, all my photos, etc are still there) but I cannot boot into Windows.

Anyone have a clue here?

Thanks.
    Alan

If you already saw the windows logo. The bootsector is fine.
    But your Boot in Windows is broken.
    Thats really a problem for you.. you might want to get the backup you made before installing ubuntu out of the Closet and find out you didnt make them.. (right).

This is a Windows Problem. not linux Ubuntu (or better Grub) didnt destory your MBR.
    Well, did you add a chainloader in the Windows Boot at grub?
    Do you have a winXP cd?

well, we are going to fix this for you. But you'd might just want to reinstall windows and get ur backup on there
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Backup, umm, uhh, well, oh, gosh...........

OK, guilty. I did have a backup of the photos and irreplaceable stuff, just not the windows stuff.

I accept that its a Bill Gates thing, but it was working just fine before I installed the Ubuntu, then it would not boot to Windows. Grub did something, I don't know what.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    When you used the win98 disk did you use the command
    Code:
    format /mbr
    or
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    The second one is correct.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

oz
    forum.guy
    Take a look at the SuperGRUB LiveCD:

Super Grub Disk Webpage: Home Page

It's a great utility to keep on hand for working with Linux and/or Windows bootloaders, and it might be able to help with your bootloader issue. If it doesn't, it's still a good tool to have around for later use.
    oz

Well, next time backup..
    Do you have a WinXP cd?
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Well, at this point I'm not 100% sure which command I used, but the directions I had used the command fdisk /mbr so I'm almost certain I used that command.

At this point, I have my Linux all configured up fine and I don't want to screw it up, I just want to be able to boot into WinXP to run my scanner and some other things that Linux doesn't like. Regretfully, my scanner is not Sane supported so I'm stuck with Windows until I get a new scanner.

So, how would I reinstall the boot loaders, etc without ruining my existing Linux installation and without overwriting my Windows installation. Yes, I have the original Windows disk and yes, it is a legitimate Bill Gates approved (read -- paid) disk.

Thanks.
    Alan

oz
    forum.guy
    What happened when you tried using the SuperGRUB LiveCD? Did it not work?
    oz