Find the answer to your Linux question:
Has anyone successfully used an IDE controller card with RH6.2? If so, which chipset was on the card? I checked the hardware list on TLDP, but it does not seem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anyone have an IDE controller card with Red Hat 6.2?

Has anyone successfully used an IDE controller card with RH6.2? If so, which chipset was on the card?

I checked the hardware list on TLDP, but it does not seem to be up to date. I also found a page [www.linux-ide.org] that has a list of supported chipsets; but I have never heard of this site and am wondering how accurate the llist is.

Also, how is Linux with intergrated video, sound, networking, etc?
    I am currently using RH6.2, but if I can't find an IDE controller so that I can continue using my 486, I may build a new computer. I am guessing that older versions of Linux won't support any of the integrated features, so maybe I'll have to get a newer version of RH.

Linux Guru
    Do you know how old RH6.2 is? It's... very old.
    Anyway, what you will want to do is to install your kernel source and see if there is some kernel option for that chipset.
    Integrated devices are not a problem in themselves. The only thing that makes differ from normal devices is that they are hardwired to the PCI/ISA chipset while normal devices are wired through an expansion slot. Their functionality is exactly the same. That being said, you should know that there _are_ motherboards with integrated devices that are broken (ie. the motherboards themselves are made wrong, so it's not really a fault in Linux). "Bugfixes" are available for some of these when you configure the kernel, but not all. It's pretty rare, though, so you're not taking any great risks.

Just Joined!
    Well...
    Before I installed 6.2, which was about 2 months ago, I was using 5.2.
    One thing that I do not like about the computer industry in general, is the tendency to make disposable stuff; like software that supposedly "needs" to be replaced within a year, or hardware that is "worthless" in a year because newer, faster and cheaper hardware can do the same jobs. I am not an advocate of stopping the progression of knowledge, but I cannot understand why I, or anyone else, should get rid of anything that serves it purpose, even if it is old.

Now that I have said that (hopefully without stepping on anyone's toes'), if someone prefers to have the newest latest and greatest, that's ok, that's just not how I prefer to do things. When I have learned everything there is to know about my old computer and my old software (could be years from know), then I might consider getting rid of it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I agree with you, why throw away something that server its purpose? I save all my old computers; I wouldn't ever be as stupid as to throw them away as long as they work (or can be fixed).
    Software, however, is truly disposable. When there is a later version, why _not_ install it? You might have reasons, though. I guess RH8 wouldn't run very good on your 486... You should upgrade to the latest kernel, though.

However, give up on the idea of learning everything about what you have; you never will. Noone ever will.

Just Joined!
    I looked at official versions of RedHat 7 and 8 but the packaging said that both required at least a Pentium processor. Any ideas why? The only thing that I could think of was that there might be some code in the 2.4 kernel that depends on the "new" instructions of the Pentium processor (compared to the 486).