Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm having the same trouble, could you explain in more depth about the recovery console, and where it is.....and then maybe a bit more remedial training about getting linux off ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fix MBR Trouble

I'm having the same trouble, could you explain in more depth about the recovery console, and where it is.....and then maybe a bit more remedial training about getting linux off a computer.

thank you in advance

::Moderator Note:: This thread was broken off from a previous thread here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ing-linux.html
    Last edited by techieMoe; 11-29-2007 at 12:07 PM.

oz
    forum.guy
    As for restoring your Windows bootloader, you should see the recovery console option after booting with the WinXP installation CD.

For deleting or reformatting your Linux partitions, I recommend using the PartedMagic LiveCD. It's easy to use and good instructions for using it can be found on their website, and on the LiveCD itself.
    oz

Just Joined!
    hmmm, no dice...all the downloads are giving a 404 error...but if I understand correctly, I need to use a partition program and delete the partition with linux on it, then boot up with the windows xp installation cd....will the recovery console give the option to fix the mbr or do I need to do somthing to get to that option? sorry for being so remedial, but any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

thanx

Just Joined!
    on another note, I did like linux (freespire) and will probably install it again, eventually, but on a much smaller partition....I did not realize I would no longer be able to access or save files on it while using windows...live and learn eh?

oz
    forum.guy
    Don't know what's going on with the download links, but you can also use the Gparted LiveCD for your partitioning work. It's basically the same thing, just looks different.

You should get a DOS-like prompt in the recovery console for entering your command to fix the MBR.
    oz

Just Joined!
    ok thanx, I'm gonna give it a shot

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's the actual HowTo from Microsoft just in case it helps any:

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanx ozar, after some playing around with gparted for a bit I have achieved some success, and a little knowledge about gparted basically what I have done, and I am happy with this scenario, I shrank down the partition with linux, and merged what was left over with the partition with windows xp.

That will work for me, I am happy to keep linux installed on a smaller portion of my hard drive.

One thing I would be interested in changing though, is during boot up, if I do not select windows xp it will automatically boot linux. Is there a way to change this?

Thanx again.

oz
    forum.guy
    What distribution are you running, and are you using GRUB, or LILO for the bootloader?
    oz

Just Joined!
    freespire from linspire I think is the distribution....as for grub and lilo, they may as well be greek. I strive to understand more about computers and the programs I run on them, but much of it goes right over my head....I'm sure those who do understand them would consider me more of a computer abuser, than a computer user .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast