Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I'd lik to test various linux distros on an old platform, but I don't have a CD burner. Is it possible to "burn" an ISO image to a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

"burning" ISO on USB pen

Hi all.
    I'd lik to test various linux distros on an old platform, but I don't have a CD burner.
    Is it possible to "burn" an ISO image to a USB pen?
    I've tried with Damn Small Linux instructions but it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

If it really is an old system (older than mid Pentium 4 era) the chances are the system won't boot from USB to run this anyway. Have you considered using virtualisation such as qemu or VirtualBox?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    If it really is an old system (older than mid Pentium 4 era) the chances are the system won't boot from USB to run this anyway. Have you considered using virtualisation such as qemu or VirtualBox?
    Yes, but it isn't what I need.
    Anyway the BIOS support USB boot: the problem I had with Damn Small Linux was a syslog message of wrong kernel image.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I used to boot Slax from USB. The downside is I think you need to run it from CD to install it to disk, or at least you did in the older versions.

Check out this link, I hope it helps (particularly the Linux Mint section) -

How to Install Linux to a USB flash pen drive using Windows | USB Pen Drive Linux