Find the answer to your Linux question:
Initially, I had win 2k and slackware 9 (which uses lilo). Then I installed Redhat 9 (which uses Grub). After this installation, my system thought I only had Redhat 9 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing the Bootloader from Grub to Lilo from within win2k

Initially, I had win 2k and slackware 9 (which uses lilo). Then I installed Redhat 9 (which uses Grub). After this installation, my system thought I only had Redhat 9 + Win 2K. I didn't bother to make changes to grub.conf so that it would recognize that Slackware was on another partition.

Today, I booted into win 2K and formated the Redhat 9 partition. Now, when I reboot my computer, I get the grub command line, and I have to use it to boot into windows.

Now, I would like to boot to Slackware. I couldn't find /sbin/grub in the Slackware partition, so I'm guessing grub wasn't installed. So I would need to boot using lilo, which would involve me changing the MBR (master boot record).

My goal in the end is to install Fedora Core 2 (FC2) from my hard-drive. I have instructions on how to install it as long as the isos are on a linux partition.

How can I change MBR to use lilo in the beginning? Is there another way to install FC2 from hard-drive if I had the isos on my win 2K partition?

I just thought of another idea, I'm gonna try to boot from the Slackware CD.

Just Joined!
    I just booted from the Slackware 9 CD, and used lilo to fix the MBR.