Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys! I have been using PCLinuxOS for a while now, but i am not very plased with it, so i decided to change the distro/os I would like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation switching distros without loosing data

Hey guys!
    I have been using PCLinuxOS for a while now, but i am not very plased with it, so i decided to change the distro/os
    I would like to know if it is possible to keep my home folder data. I could and will simply back it up by copying it to another partition or simply writeing it on dvdrw. but it would be a lot easier if i could use the same home tree i already have.
    If something like that is possible i am also interested would my tbird accounts and email loud into new tbird automaticly, or would/could i load them afterwards.
    I am not quite sure wich distro to install... my top choises are Fedora8, Ubuntu or FreeBSD

Installing a new distro will overwrite /home.
    I have heard of people putting /home on a separate partition, but I have never tried this.
    And i have no experience with tbird as I prefer gmail. Hopefully someone else will be able to help with that one.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

If /home is in a separate partition you can choose not to format it during the installation of another distribution. In your home folder there is a folder named .thunderbird where your account settings and emails are stored. Copying this folder to your new distro home folder should do the trick
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    thanks guys!
    I indeed have a separete home partition, so it won't be a problem... I'll cach up on you in a few days to tell you if it worked!