Find the answer to your Linux question:
i want to create a dual boot system with redhat 9 on one partition and windows xp pro on the other.... i installed rh9 on a blank, unformatted harddrive, using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual boot problems

i want to create a dual boot system with redhat 9 on one partition and windows xp pro on the other.... i installed rh9 on a blank, unformatted harddrive, using only 50 gigs for ext3 and 2 for swap of my 120 gig hd.... i want to install windows xp pro on the remaining 50 odd gigs, but how do i install it on the free space instead of overwriting my already existing rh9 partition??

Just Joined!
    i also want to set up a windows recovery partition after i set up xp pro, but im not entirely sure if that is possible....

Just Joined!
    Although it's been awhile, during the windows installation it should ask you if you want to wipe the hard drive, or use the exisiting free space for the windows install. Just select to use the exisiting free space. You must have the free space as unpartitioned before you begin for this to work thou. Also, make sure you either have grub/lilo installed on other than the MBR, or at least a linux boot disk. I think windows will overwrite the MBR and I'm not sure you can control that.