Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
alright well as the name says this is my first time installing liunux ive only used distros before but i got tired of loosing my setting each time i rebooted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First Timer

alright well as the name says this is my first time installing liunux ive only used distros before but i got tired of loosing my setting each time i rebooted so i have decided to install a full linux...

Ok well i read the tutorial for dual booting since i still want to keep my XP Pro OS for since my parents sometimes use that. But it says if im installing on one phisycall drive i need to partion it.. well unfortunately i dont know how to do that... so i was wondering if anyone can help me with this... i read somewhere that i need to run fdisk to do the partioning and i need to download a boot disk (it recommended the windows ME bootdisk since it had the most recent version of FDISK and better for partioning hdd bigger than 64MB) so how would i use this?

and one last question while istalling does the linux installation install LILO or GRUB? or do i have to download and install before running the linux installation?

also if it makes any diffrence i want to install Slackware 10.0...

thx for any help in advance

-ChriSTP

Just Joined!
    Good luck with your linux install -

First things first, your paritioning... If you only have one physical drive, and do not want to loose any data (meaning do not want to reinstall windows) you would first have to resize your partition. This requires a special utility and is not included with the OS.

First off, if your current filesystem is NOT NTFS, you can use almost anything. FIPS is a free program and I have had great luck with it. You can get FIPS from here http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/
    If you do have NTFS, heres the instructions for that: http://www.hut.fi/~tkarvine/linux-wi...zing-ntfs.html
    even though it's specific to fedora - the steps you need are all the same.

After resize, you (should) be able to create the partitions during you Linux install (I do not know about slackware - but thats how fedora core 2 works).

Make sure you have a windows bootadle floppy or CD before begining anything here, just in case!

I'd go with grub... It is the newer bootloader, and 'suposidly' superior to lilo - although lilo works great too! Make sure you DO NOT install grub or lilo onto your MBR, install it to the root partition superblock, another 'just in case', then you can always make windows bootable if there is a problem!

I use fedora core release 2 and am very happy with it so far - I do recommened it.. Although I doubt there is a 'bad' distro out there - they all seem great

Again, good luck! Let me know if that helps at all!

Just Joined!
    alright thx for the quick response just need to make some stuff clear... uhh i think i do have NTFS since i think thats what i chose while installing XP so i went to the link for that and it tells me i need Ntfsresize tool and tells me i can get it from Knoppix 2004 but thats 700mb so i was wondering if theres anyway i can get just the tool instead of download knoppix; but i saw that in the link you have it tells me to:

Start qtparted. Select Main menu: Knoppix: Root shell. Type qtparted &. Select your hard disk (/dev/hda), and select Windows XP NTFS partition, which probably takes almost the whole disk. From context menu (click right mouse button), select "Resize...". Make the partition about a half smaller, click Ok. Save by clicking disk icon from toolbar. Qtparted automatically does everything needed to resize the partition (runs ntfsresize and the actual partitioning program).
    so do i absolutely need to download knoppix so i can use qtparted or can i just run ntfsresize tool? to be able to do it? and will it work even if your hdd has never been partioned? cuz it sounds like if its saying that the hdd has already been partioned...

and lastly the windows me bootdisk that i have will that work as a boot disk?(http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm used windows me - oem) or do i have to make one for xp (i think i can do that since ME had that option but not sure)?

sry for all the questions i just dont wanna rush it and screw up... again thx for any help in advance

-ChriSTP

Linux Engineer
    all depend on the distro you want to install.new distros like suse 9.1 or fc2 slack 10 when you boot your pc from cdrom(have put the linux cd there) you can install easily.partitioning is easy -with fdisk the only thing you have to do is to select a filesystem you want to use(e.g reiser or ext3...)and set the mount point of it (usually /).then you have to create a swap partition which should be 2*ram.
    with selecting expert partitioning you will be able to see in graphic mode the status(partitions) of your hard disk in order not to damage your existing windows ones.
    good luck and remember it's really easy!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    thx alot stathisx

ok well i know about the pationing... but will this do it so i am able to dual boot? or is the srtting up for dual booting seperate from the linux installation? if it is is there any thing i need to install or do like put something on a cd or floppy?

thx

-ChriSTP

Linux Engineer
    i think you don't have to put something in boot disk or so.i have tried it this and worked fine.grub or lilo will do it on their own (boot loaders).although you can boot your linux os using a floppy.in case you want this you should install the boot loader not in the mbr(master boot record) but in a floppy when you install linux.it will take you a liitle more time to boot up your linux system but it will make sure you don't have your windows installation meshed up!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Be warned -

The installation will make it easy to create and delete partitions but, at least with fedora, it WILL NOT resize - In a fedora installation, the graphical installation uses something called disk druid, and this will not resize ntfs, niether will fdisk, if I remember right. There are several programs and ways to resize an ntfs partition. More info at http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html along w/ several diff packages you can use. note where is states:
    Jul 9, 2004 WARNING! Be careful when partitioning on Linux 2.6 kernels! Partitioning softwares using Parted or libparted MIGHT corrupt the partition table, that MIGHT break the Windows boot process, moreover you MIGHT even lose access to your data from all installed or rescue operating systems. This problem is not NTFS related, we mention this because of the severity and because many people incorrectly believe it is NTFS or NTFS resizing related. These problems can happen using FAT32 or any other filesystem too, or if one just creates new partitions. If your NTFS was resized beforehand then your data is intact. The problems caused by the disk geometry detection code of the Linux 2.6 kernels are recoverable without data loss. Reports are from users of Mandrake 10, SUSE 9.1, Fedora 2, Debian, Gentoo, MEPIS but all other Linux distributions have the same problem using Linux 2.6 and Parted or libparted unless it was independently resolved.
    You can also use off-the-shelf software like partition magic or system commander - both run native to windows. There are many more software packages you can use, some are listed in the link I provided, others you can find in a google search for 'resize ntfs' or something like that.

I would recommend doing the resize as a seperate function from a Linux install. then you do not have to worry so much about corrupting something.

Just Joined!

Duel Boot

Another word on booting 2 o.s.'s easily...

What I did was install grub onto the root partition superblock and make that partiton active, then use grub to boot both O.S.'s - works great. And the best part about it is that if something does get screwed up, all you have to do is boot from a disk and make your windows partiton active, allowing you to boot into windows until you have time to repair your linux installation and/or grub configuration.

No disks or CD's, and it saved my but a couple of times!

Just Joined!
    ok well i finished reading the slackware howto last night all 25 pages... and it says itll make the partions and setup the dual boot while installing... i got everything written down so i know exactly what to do so i can partion a space for linux... but when i got to the installation and i go to make a partion it says there is no free memory... and i know why it does that... i checked the partion table and this is what it showed me

Disk/dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 9729 cylinders
    Units= Cylinders at 16065 * 512 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 9729 ?????? ?? NTFS
    if you look at it i have 9729 cylinders and the partion usues from 1 - 9729 so i have no room for linux... so im guessing i need to resize it like you guys said before... so i got Partion Magic but im not sure how to use it to risize it so i have room to install linux... when i go into the program and choose the option risize/move partion i get this window...

http://img49.photobucket.com/albums/...partioning.jpg

what should i do here so i can have enough room? and is there a way so i can get it to 1024 cylinders cuz thats what the slackware how to shows it.... or is that according to your hdd size? well i need enough room to put a 3gb partion for the linux installation and another partion so i can put the Linux swap partion....

thx

-ChriSTP

Just Joined!
    Ok - hard to read your screenshot - but you need to increase the free space after, whatever number you have in here will be the space available for the linux partitions. I dont know if you can actually change that field - you may have to lower the New Size number to raise the Free Space After number.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast