Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok sorry firstly if this is available elsewhere but I REALLY dont want to mess this up! I just bought a new laptop, I live in Spain and its a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu installation?

Ok sorry firstly if this is available elsewhere but I REALLY dont want to mess this up!

I just bought a new laptop, I live in Spain and its a spanish one (Dont speak the lingo - will this be a problem?)

So it has the new vista os in Spanish but I have long been interested in trying Linux and as I type, I am downloading a live cd for ubuntu 7.10. I have no idea what I am doing other than to boot the laptop up with the disk in. I am using this method because I have been led to believe it wont affect the overall OS.

From the research I have done this is a good version to go for, however it has been said on some posts that the best option for a normal user such as myself would be to partion the laptop and run windows vista oneside and linux the other. My laptop came partitioned so thats one problem takn care off! So is this the best thing to do? How do I do it? and how much should I devote to each partition? My Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5920, 250gb HDD, Intel core 2 duo processor, mobile intel graphic media accelerator x3100. Once linux is set up I would like to use the functions from compiz fusion.

So really Im looking for some advice on how to go about it, is it safe, do I have the right hardware etc.

Im sure this is really annoying to anyone in the know but really I want to get this right and I am trying to learn! If nothing else your hard work can help permanantly remove me from the Bill Gates/Microsoft club...........got to be worth it

you can mail me at priezt@hotmail.co.uk

thankyou very much

B

Hi and Welcome !

Its very easy to install Ubuntu ( or any other Linux distro ) along with Windows OSes. Shrink existing partitions and create free space ( 8 - 10GB is enough ) for Ubuntu using Vista Partitioning Tool. Boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD and click on Install Icon. Select Free Space in Partitioning Section. Installer will create/format partitions out of free space and setup dual boot itself. You will have choice to boot up either OS at start up.

Good Luck !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by benny_boy83 View Post
    So it has the new vista os in Spanish but I have long been interested in trying Linux and as I type, I am downloading a live cd for ubuntu 7.10. I have no idea what I am doing other than to boot the laptop up with the disk in. I am using this method because I have been led to believe it wont affect the overall OS.
    That is correct. The process you're using is called running from a LiveCD. You can run Ubuntu like this and it will not affect your computer's installed system at all.

My laptop came partitioned so thats one problem takn care off! So is this the best thing to do? How do I do it? and how much should I devote to each partition?
    The install program for Ubuntu should let you shrink down one of your large Vista partitions and use that as a new partition for itself. It should do all this by itself. You don't have to juggle the partitions manually. With a 250GB harddrive, you should have at least one partition with some extra space on it.

My Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5920, 250gb HDD, Intel core 2 duo processor, mobile intel graphic media accelerator x3100. Once linux is set up I would like to use the functions from compiz fusion.
    That setup should work fine. I've had 3D desktop effects work on integrated Intel graphics chips before.

So really Im looking for some advice on how to go about it, is it safe, do I have the right hardware etc.
    It is relatively safe, but there's always a chance something can go wrong so I very strongly recommend you back up any important data on your Vista side before you do any of the install steps for Ubuntu.

Once that's done just boot up like you normally would with the CD in the drive and double-click the "Install" icon on the desktop. The installer should take you through step by step. If you have any questions along the way post back here.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close