Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Windows OS is installed in /dev/sda1 and Diagnostic Tools in /dev/sda2. Dont touch these two partitions. /dev/sda3 is Fedora's /boot, /dev/sda4 is an Extended Partition and /dev/sda5 is Logical Volume ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windows OS is installed in /dev/sda1 and Diagnostic Tools in /dev/sda2. Dont touch these two partitions.
    /dev/sda3 is Fedora's /boot, /dev/sda4 is an Extended Partition and /dev/sda5 is Logical Volume having /root and /home of Fedora. Delete /dev/sda3, 4 and 5.

After deleting partitions, You can fix Windows using SuperGRUB CD easily. Just boot up from SuperGRUB CD and select 'Fix Windows Boot Loader' option. Windows OS will boot up on reboot.

There is no need to use SuperGRUB CD though. BT installer will take care of Dual Boot setup.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Windows OS is installed in /dev/sda1 and Diagnostic Tools in /dev/sda2. Dont touch these two partitions.
    /dev/sda3 is Fedora's /boot, /dev/sda4 is an Extended Partition and /dev/sda5 is Logical Volume having /root and /home of Fedora. Delete /dev/sda3, 4 and 5.

After deleting partitions, You can fix Windows using SuperGRUB CD easily. Just boot up from SuperGRUB CD and select 'Fix Windows Boot Loader' option. Windows OS will boot up on reboot.

There is no need to use SuperGRUB CD though. BT installer will take care of Dual Boot setup.
    Thanks alot for that, it's a massive help. I'll try it all out in the weekend as I need XP for an assignment this week and don't want to run the risk of messing it up. I'll probably use that GRUB CD though, taking it one step at a time should ensure XP is fixed incase I have to refer back for extra BT installation help elsewhere.

Glad to help you.
    I'll probably use that GRUB CD though, taking it one step at a time should ensure XP is fixed incase I have to refer back for extra BT installation help elsewhere.
    Thats a good idea. Do let us know how it goes.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Glad to help you.

Thats a good idea. Do let us know how it goes.
    Yeah, I'll keep you posted on it. Thanks for the help again! These forums are awesome.

Just Joined!
    Sorry to double post, but I had no edit option. Don't worry, it won't happen again.

Good news!

The whole operation was done in an afternoon. Getting rid of fedora and removing GRUB and repairing Windows with the GRUB superCD was a peice of cake, Backtrack 3 took a little trial and error, because I didn't realise I was trying to install into unallocated space, but I used an old gparted CD I had to create a partition and get things installed. I had to mess around with /etc/lilo.conf in order to make an option to boot windows appear, but now things are cool and I can dual boot both.

I'm hoping to work on X11.conf to get the touchpad setup the way I like, hopefully the method I used on Fedora should work. After that it'll be onto creating a new user and sorting out my soundcard and giving it some 'homely touches'.

Thanks for all the help! Couldn't have done it without you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2