Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I would suggest you to create Partitions Manually through PartedMagic CD before Linux installation. Create 1GB SWAP partition too.
    Start installation and select Manual Partitioning. Select ext3 partition and assign it / mount point. Installer will detect SWAP partition itself.

Why are you creating NTFS partitions? Are you planning to install Windows OSes too? If yes then install Windows OSes first.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    I would suggest you to create Partitions Manually through PartedMagic CD before Linux installation. Create 1GB SWAP partition too.
    Start installation and select Manual Partitioning. Select ext3 partition and assign it / mount point. Installer will detect SWAP partition itself.

Why are you creating NTFS partitions? Are you planning to install Windows OSes too? If yes then install Windows OSes first.
    Yes,
    I will also install XP Pro on this workstation. Actually, it is already installed and I am installing Kubuntu secondarily. This comp will serve as a workstation/data storage for work. I have 25+ comps at work, mostly WinXP Pro and a few Mac. Data collected will be analyzed with XP programs, so I would like to have drive storage that is compatible and accessible (for file sharing and transfer) through the net. Because I have data files that can only be opened by XP Programs (on the same workstation), I need NTFS space.

BTW, should I create a larger swap partition (8 GB) rather than 1 GB, if my workstation has 4 GB memory?

Final decision (maybe?)

Ok. after reading all of your posts, I will be using PartedMagic to partition the blank 1TB HD to 50 GB ext3 (mount point), 50 GB ext3 (spare?), and two NTFS partitions at 450GB each. This drive will be slaved to the current primary HD with XP Pro.

And this will be just the beginning of it all. Wish me luck!

Thank you for all your input.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Plug in this drive as Primary before installation. Linux Installers install GRUB ( Boot Loader ) in MBR of Primary HD by default. If you plug-in XP disk as Primary then Installer will install GRUB in it and you will face problems in future.
    Unplug XP HD, plug-in Linux HD as Primary and install Linux. Plug-in XP disk as Secondary after Linux Installation. Linux will boot up by default. Boot up Linux and execute sudo fdisk -l command in Konsole.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here. We'll post instructions for dual boot setup. Its very easy to setup dual boot. You have to edit one file only. This is a safest method for dual boot setup.

Good Luck !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Plug in this drive as Primary before installation. Linux Installers install GRUB ( Boot Loader ) in MBR of Primary HD by default. If you plug-in XP disk as Primary then Installer will install GRUB in it and you will face problems in future.
    Unplug XP HD, plug-in Linux HD as Primary and install Linux. Plug-in XP disk as Secondary after Linux Installation. Linux will boot up by default. Boot up Linux and execute sudo fdisk -l command in Konsole.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here. We'll post instructions for dual boot setup. Its very easy to setup dual boot. You have to edit one file only. This is a safest method for dual boot setup.

Good Luck !
    devils_casper, thank you for the suggestion. I will do what you recommended regarding the sequence of connections and install steps.

First attempt - problems

I removed the old SATA drive with the XP Pro OS, and installed the new SATA drive to be formatted by PartedMagic.

PartedMagic does not seem to like a dual monitor setup. The program hung on me, with the left monitor blank, and the right monitor with vertical lines. I turned off the second monitor, and booted with a single monitor.

Rebooted, and everything seems to be working fine, but after some of the scripts came up, I ended up with a blank screen again, which lasted for 15 minutes before I rebooted. I rebooted the computer twice, but still the same problem.

Will it matter if the single monitor is connected by digital input (rather than analog)? I will try to switch monitors (my second monitor is analog input) and boot up with the analog monitor only and repost.

thats a very strange problem to have, maybe you will have better luck with GParted instead, i used that with my dual monitor setup an no issues

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    The PartedMagic window looks like this:

You can see the number and types of partitions on the drive. I like ext3 partitions for my own use, but others like other filesystems for various reasons. As for swap, I've got 1 GB of RAM, but only create a 512 MB swap partition, and it never gets touched by the system, but then I don't run lots of high memory intensive applications at once. I could effectively delete my swap partition because I don't really need it.
    Hey Ozar, quick question for you. I finally got PartedMagic to work (GParted). Now, I am faced with the dilemma of how to partition it properly. I really don't understand the /root and /home, but I am reading up on it as I go along.

Let me tell you what I am doing. It looks like I can only partition 4 primary partitions. What I would like to do is create as much space for NTFS. So, I created a primary ext3 at 40 GB where I will mount "/", an extended partition of 40 GB (which I further partitioned as logical ext3 at 30G and where I will mount "/home",and a logical linux swap at 4 GB), a primary fat32 at 15 GB, and the rest for NTFS (840 GB or so). Of course these are not the exact numbers, but just for simplicity's sake.

Does this sound right to you? I will try it and see.
    Last edited by conradinsf; 01-11-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Update and clarification of what I performed.

Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    thats a very strange problem to have, maybe you will have better luck with GParted instead, i used that with my dual monitor setup an no issues
    coopstah13... I got it to work eventually. Played around a little bit. I tried to boot up with Kubuntu LiveCD, and that worked fine. I am using single-monitor option (just unplugged one of the monitors from the vid card) and this seemed to work with PartedMagic. Don't really know what the problem was in the first place, but I am not going to pursue it any more. Am now playing around with the partition types and sizes, etc. I just posted a reply to Ozar a few minutes ago, and if you have any input about it, please feel free to reply back to me. Thanks.

Smile Kubuntu set up!

Ok. I finally got a working version with the proper specs, after a few test installs. Should I configure/edit grub now before plugging in the disk with XP, or should I plug it in already and power up and hope for the best?

I tried to do the sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst function in the konsole, but it gives me a "sudo: gedit: command not found" line.

Thanks for you help.