Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wonder if anyone can help me, I am getting an error after installation and partitioning of Mandrake 9.2. When I finish the install and try to reboot my computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LILO error

I wonder if anyone can help me, I am getting an error after installation and partitioning of Mandrake 9.2. When I finish the install and try to reboot my computer it says "LILO - Timestamp Mismatch" and it won't let me do anything. First of all let me say that I have two HDDs: HDA & HDB. Both have winxp on them. What I want to do is to have a triple boot so I can select between both winxp installs or linux but haven't been able to do it thanks to this problem. I want to have linux on hdb taking up half the space and winxp the other half. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

wow, quite an xp fan eh? reguardless, did you makesure that the clocks on all your systems and bio all are in the same timezone and synchronised, might have nothign to do with it, but i have heard that can cause errors.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Haha, yeah I guess I am. :P I looked in BIOS and there is no timezone (I have a Dell BIOS). I also checked the clocks in BIOS and Windows and they're both the same.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Could be a bug in that version of lilo

http://site.n.ml.org/info/lilo/

But I've seen posts where it's sorted by moving the BIOS time a few hours into the future, running /sbin/lilo and rebooting. Might be worth a go.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Ok, I moved the BIOS clock ahead 3 hours and that solved the problem. But when the computer boots up it just goes straight to windows and nothing happens. No LILO it just loads windows.

Just Joined!

Re: LILO error

Quote Originally Posted by linuxnewb714
    I wonder if anyone can help me, I am getting an error after installation and partitioning of Mandrake 9.2. When I finish the install and try to reboot my computer it says "LILO - Timestamp Mismatch" and it won't let me do anything. First of all let me say that I have two HDDs: HDA & HDB. Both have winxp on them. What I want to do is to have a triple boot so I can select between both winxp installs or linux but haven't been able to do it thanks to this problem. I want to have linux on hdb taking up half the space and winxp the other half. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
    Can I just ask why you've installed XP in two locations? Why not have one installation accessing both drives?