Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to install Slackware 9.0. I have a Promise ATA 100 controller card via the PCI slot. Slackware will not recognize my hard drive. Is there any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware Install Problem

I have been trying to install Slackware 9.0. I have a Promise ATA 100 controller card via the PCI slot. Slackware will not recognize my hard drive. Is there any way to install without having to remove the controller card and having to plug the drive straight to the motherboard?

Thanks,
    Roy

Linux Enthusiast
    have you tried disabling plug n play in the bios?

Just Joined!
    I haven't tried disabling plug and play. Will this help the controller card situation without creating any other problems?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Disabling the BIOS from setting up your PnP won't create problems; it will solve them, as it leaves Linux free to set it up however it wants to.
    However, I don't think that's the problem here. Promise cards (I have one myself) require you to recompile your kernel with driver support for their chipset. That is under "ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support", "IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices", and the "Promise PDC202{46|62|65|67|68|69|70} support" driver. The name of the common Promise chipsets is PDC202xx.

Just Joined!
    I ended up using the raid.s kernel to load with, that solved the problem.

Linux Guru
    I would imagine that, since Promise's chipsets are used for RAID cards, too. Where did you get that kernel, though? Was it shipped with your distro?

Just Joined!
    The kernel was on the Slackware 9.0 iso cd that I downloaded.