Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi..let me start off by saying im new to linux..i also just bought my pc from a friend...my setup goes like this amd athlon 64 x2 core processor @ 4600+ ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot seem to install.

Hi..let me start off by saying im new to linux..i also just bought my pc from a friend...my setup goes like this
    amd athlon 64 x2 core processor @ 4600+
    asus m2n-sli deluxe Mobo
    Asus en8800GTS
    Dvd drive (set as Primary)
    40 gb ide (slave slot(used-new to pc))
    120GB Sata hd
    2 gb of ram

..this is my current low budget gaming rig,,ive been interested in the nix scene for awhile just never had the time. i recently found out about dual booting and thought it was perfect for me..now i downloaded partition magic and i have been trying to install linux on the 40 gb slave drive while windoze is installed on my 120 sata .. but i keep running into installation freezes when i try to install linux on my newly partitioned drive (through p.magic) ive tried using ext2 and 3 and neither have worked. partition magic even has an install another os button and sets it all up for you if you havnt used it. before im told to try another cd ive downloaded about 8 distros (all md5s checkout and burnt at 8-12 speed) the distros include redhat, suse10.3,(k)(x)ubuntu, pclinuxos and fedora. the thing is i dont even think i get to the installation..on most discs i get a boot up..i choose install it starts doing stuff than freezes. (i.e. no setup/questions/install menus about install have been seen yet) ive noticed two main errors (where it freezes) one is (it will freeze @) "Loading pata_amd driver and here (http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7...5080001nk0.jpg) is a pic of another one...its taking from my phone so its not the best but 'kernal panic' doesnt sound good...any advise would be greatly appreciated for i would LOVE to stop using windoze and staying inside their box.. if you have anyquestions/ need any info from my pc tell me how to get it and ill get it to you!
    (...im sure it will be something simple im not doing but i duno what im doing thats why im here ! )

*edit* when i run (k)(x)ubuntu they all get to the spash screen (where it says name and shows loading bar going back and forth) than it brings me to a command prompt(ish) screen...'busy box 1.1.3 ... built in shell ... type help for list of commands ... (initramifs) _'
    Last edited by nullkid; 01-16-2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: new info

Quote Originally Posted by nullkid View Post
    Hi..let me start off by saying im new to linux..i also just bought my pc from a friend...my setup goes like this
    amd athlon 64 x2 core processor @ 4600+
    asus m2n-sli deluxe Mobo
    Asus en8800GTS
    Dvd drive (set as Primary)
    40 gb ide (slave slot(used-new to pc))
    120GB Sata hd
    2 gb of ram

..this is my current low budget gaming rig,,ive been interested in the nix scene for awhile just never had the time. i recently found out about dual booting and thought it was perfect for me..now i downloaded partition magic and i have been trying to install linux on the 40 gb slave drive while windoze is installed on my 120 sata .. but i keep running into installation freezes when i try to install linux on my newly partitioned drive (through p.magic) ive tried using ext2 and 3 and neither have worked. partition magic even has an install another os button and sets it all up for you if you havnt used it. before im told to try another cd ive downloaded about 8 distros (all md5s checkout and burnt at 8-12 speed) the distros include redhat, suse10.3,(k)(x)ubuntu, pclinuxos and fedora. the thing is i dont even think i get to the installation..on most discs i get a boot up..i choose install it starts doing stuff than freezes. (i.e. no setup/questions/install menus about install have been seen yet) ive noticed two main errors (where it freezes) one is (it will freeze @) "Loading pata_amd driver and here (http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7...5080001nk0.jpg) is a pic of another one...its taking from my phone so its not the best but 'kernal panic' doesnt sound good...any advise would be greatly appreciated for i would LOVE to stop using windoze and staying inside their box.. if you have anyquestions/ need any info from my pc tell me how to get it and ill get it to you!
    (...im sure it will be something simple im not doing but i duno what im doing thats why im here ! )

*edit* when i run (k)(x)ubuntu they all get to the spash screen (where it says name and shows loading bar going back and forth) than it brings me to a command prompt(ish) screen...'busy box 1.1.3 ... built in shell ... type help for list of commands ... (initramifs) _'
    Hey buddy, let me preface myself by saying that sometimes the way I word things comes across funny. So if you read something I wrote that could be A) something nice and just to the point, or B) rude as crap.... stick with option A because those are my intentions. Now, lets get to the bottom of your issue.

You are right about the Kernel Panic. It is the worst thing that can happen (next to a power surge frying your hardware). However, congratulate yourself, very few people have ever seen it!! haha.... so you're pretty lucky!

Kernel panics are usually due to a fatal error in which the computer cannot recover from. When it happens, the computer is programed to do two things: A) dump code into the terminal in text form (just like you saw on the screen) that is of highly technical nature to help compy experts diagnose the problem; and B) wait to be rebooted.

So until we know what the exact text was that was displayed on your screen during the panic, we wont know what the issue is. Try booting linux again to bring up the panic. Write down as much as you can and post it back up here. I know that sounds like a lot, and you're probably short on time. But, that's what would be most helpful right now. Hang in there, the more problems you have, the more you learn! =)

And always remember, those who enjoy linux are condemned to fix it for life! =)

Just Joined!
    Hya skittle! thanks for the response bro but unfortantly your right...that is a rare error..cos i didnt see it again, lol. i sat through 14 freezes (i gotta be killing my pc already haha) trying to find which one gave me the kernal panic. But i also logged everything that happened with the other cds..

(k)(x)ubuntu - All of them get past the 1st loading screen (the one after you click install shows name and bar) than brings me right to that Busy box terminal. (anything i can do in here to get helpful info?)

Suse 10.3 - (cd) stops @ 'booting from cd drive... ...'
    (dvd) wont boot from live disc. - freezes @ its loading screen (after install is clicked screen with name and loading bar comes up stop about 1/4th of the way)

pclinuxos - same as above but i dont get to click install..just goes right to a loading screen and locks up.

Fedora (gives me the most info..i think this is what gave me kernal panic too im not sure..but its the only one giving me info) - just going to run through in detail...boot pc. gets passed the first string of commands than loads up a blue screen with a box entitled 'loading SCSI drivers' it gets through quite a few drivers than stops @ loading Pata_amd driver...this time i tried CTRL + ALT + DEL to reboot but it shifted the screen and brought up more text whic was as follows
    -send termination signal...done
    -sending kill signals..done
    -disabling swap..
    -unmounting filesystems
    /proc/bus/usb..done
    /proc ..done
    /dev/pts ..done
    /sys umount failed (16)
    /tmp/ramfs ..done
    rebooting...

thats all i can give you atm,,i duno i think ive only seen the option on one disc (at the main screen anyway) to install in txt mode...would that help?/would i need to write everything or just where it freezes/can i stop it with pause and scrollup/down to get all info?
    i fear that i may have used a different install method(boot method) when i got the kernal panic error i cant be 100% cos i was trying every thing before i came here to ask ;\ my pc is mad at me for the constant restarts xD
    Last edited by nullkid; 01-16-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo

it sounds to me like you have some bad hardware, you say your SATA drive booting to windows works fine. Can you detect the IDE drive from within windows? There could be a problem with that IDE drive or the IDE channel on your motherboard that would cause these problems to occur. Also you say you have the dvdrom and the IDE drive on the same cable, did you mistakenly set both to master? or both to slave? You should open up your box and double check those things. I also don't recommend using cable select, just make one the master and one the slave using their jumpers.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    it sounds to me like you have some bad hardware, you say your SATA drive booting to windows works fine. Can you detect the IDE drive from within windows? There could be a problem with that IDE drive or the IDE channel on your motherboard that would cause these problems to occur. Also you say you have the dvdrom and the IDE drive on the same cable, did you mistakenly set both to master? or both to slave? You should open up your box and double check those things. I also don't recommend using cable select, just make one the master and one the slave using their jumpers.
    the pc is new, i bought it from a friend who literally just bought it but is leaving for college. The sata is what came with the pc. the ide was installed from an old pc. (it worked perfect as an extra hard drive there, and when its in the right format windows on the sata will find it(also like i said im using partition magic to do all my partitioning and that has no problems setting up what so ever, its just when it comes to installing the linux distro). when im in bios the ide HD is set as slave and the dvd is set as master (came that way i tried switching but than my pc doesnt find the dvd drive for some reason..)and please elaborate on what i should be looking for in box..and what you mean by 'I also don't recommend using cable select, just make one the master and one the slave using their jumpers.' i have to goto work now but i will open up again when i get home. if it means anything the dvd is plugged into the first slot and the hd is plugged into the second of the 'ribbon' cable...

--would getting another sata possibly help me out..instead of installing to this ide drive?

Sorry I should have been more specific. The IDE drives that you are using have pins and jumpers on them that you need to set, and they usually have a couple different settings. I was asking if you could check them to see if the jumpers are plugged in properly. One of the settings is called cable select, which I was recommending against using. This is what I meant by opening up your box and looking at the IDE drives. But if the hard drive is being detected by windows it seems that something else strange is going on. Try unplugging the hard drive and see if one of your live cd distributions will boot.

Just Joined!
    ill double check the connection. i have tried taking the sata out and tried to install just on the ide but still no good. (after i formated the sata cos windows was acting funny anyway). I also tried taking the ide and switching it with the dvd drive but than it doesn't find my dvd drive. im gonna open it up now and ill let you know what i find.. im hoping i can fix this cos i don't want to buy another pc just to learn some *nix ...just in case i am no good with it(cos i dont wanna live off boot cds and kill my dvd drive

--as far as right now the only live cd that has worked is knoppix live boot cd. i will try again with out the ide in a minute and update if anything happens or doesnt happen

*update* ok my hardware was not setup correctly..i now have my HD setup on the jumper and the bios as master and the dvd drive is now slave and working...but it still doesnt want to install seems like they all freeze in the same place...and now i have another problem, since i tried to reinstall os i went through partition magic and it deleted the partition i had their bootloader installed on...now when i goto open it wont find and reinstalling says it cannot find where old version is...i know this is no good..but maybe if i edit my registry itll fix it?

You should use PartedMagic LiveCD instead of Partition Magic. PartedMagic is one of the best Partition Manager.

It looks like Graphics Card problem. Have you tried to install in Text mode? Does LiveCD of any Distro work on your machine?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

HAHA!! Dude, you're screwed!

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be negative in anyway, It's just that I have deleted my bootloader partition before and there is nothing you can do, except reinstall windows (I'm assuming it is WindowsXP since you don't have a Linux OS installed yet, right?).

Anyway, the reason you can't reinstall XP is because you have an upgrade version CD. Meaning, you have to have a previous version of windows already on the Computer in order to use it. And since you deleted your bootloader partition, the upgrade cd can't find "a previous version of windows." I know that sounds dumb, it's suppose to because it's Microsoft! =)

You have a few options:
    1) borrow a "Retail CD Version" of any Windows OS (except Vista) from a friend. Install it, then use your XP Upgrade CD on your computer.
    2) call Windows and explain to them the problem, sometimes you can get lucky and they will allow you to send them the Upgrade CD and keycode in exchange for a Retial version (worth a shot, but don't hold your breath!).
    3) there are "other" means of acquiring a retail version of Windows, BUT! I do not recommend it for "certain" reasons. However, it might be worth a shot (as a final option) to at least make it possible to use the CD you legally own. =)

As for your replay to my original post, here's what I have to offer. Your issue is a combination of hardware/driver/BIOS configuration. There could be more to it, but for starters, I'll guarantee you that's one of your problems. Sometimes the combination of IDE and SATA doesn't mix well with other forms of OS. I stick with IDE entirely in my computer. I would love to upgrade to SATA, but I have seen too many problems with mixing the two.

(Now, before everyone with SATA and having no problems blasts me, haha, let me say that most of the time there are no problems with it. Having said that, I have seen issues when I was working at CompUSA. So they do exist. It's just rare.)

Now, having said all this, before you go to extremes like buying new hardware-- or even a new computer, lets try some other things.
    1) Setup your hardware just the way it was when you got the computer from your friend. It was obviously working then.
    2) Get Windows reinstalled.
    3) Then what I want you to try doing is boating into your BIOS and selecting the option to "Restore Default Settings." (I know that sounds really simple, but I have seen A LOT of success doing that. Come to think of it, that should have been the first thing I suggested to you. haha... my bad!)
    4) After all that, try booting into Linux again.

Get to this point and lets see what you come up with, or what other help you might get in between. Maybe someone out there knows exactly what to do =)

Until then, we'll troubleshoot. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    You should use PartedMagic LiveCD instead of Partition Magic. PartedMagic is one of the best Partition Manager.

It looks like Graphics Card problem. Have you tried to install in Text mode? Does LiveCD of any Distro work on your machine?
    I had thought about a graphics card problem because ASUS is a little different and don't know how Linux would work with it. So that could be one for your problems, NullKid. The only reason I am hesitant to think so is because Koppix does seem to work. Secondly, I have got to imagine that there are other Linux users with ASUS Graphics Cards. Maybe they would have an answer? Maybe your problems are your card, but unique to your situation. I don't know, I'm bouncing ideas. Just keep trouble shooting everything you're suggested to, NullKid. You're going to get a lot of good help on this site.

As for you, Devil's_Casper, thanks for the suggestions. I have read some of your other posts on this site and you seem to give really good help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast