Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to these forums as well as linux itself (I'm actively making myself more familiar). Recently, I have found myself with several livecds of linux distros, including Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multiple OS USB harddrive

Hi, I'm new to these forums as well as linux itself (I'm actively making myself more familiar). Recently, I have found myself with several livecds of linux distros, including Ubuntu Fiesty, Backtrack (which wouldn't burn to a CD for some reason), Parted Magic 1.9, and OpenSUSE 10.3.

(I apologize if this is a really dumb newbie question) I was wondering if there was a way I could install all these livecd images in seperate directories/partitions on a USB harddrive and boot from the hdd into grub and from there select the distro I wanted to use. Thereby not having to make multiple cd's, still having safety net of nothing being saved on the host computer, and having the functionality offered by each distro. Is this a reasonable request? I won't bother trying to do this if it's excessively difficult.

I do have a very small amount of experience in setting up my own dual boot setup with Ubuntu and XP. Thanks again for any assistance/guidance.

Hi and Welcome !

Its very easy to install multiple OSes in single disk. Just install OSes one after another. Installer of each OS will detect other installed OSes and setup multiboot itself.

Other option is, install multiple LiveCDs in single DVD. Check here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Alright cool. How would I go about doing this? From windows? boot the live cd, mount the usb harddrive, and install it? Some of my livecd's don't offer installation options such as that, so how would I install those? Thank you for the help!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Has anyone managed to get a live-usb working? I tried following directions from different sites but none worked. It would be nice if I had a good howto.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041