Find the answer to your Linux question:
My question is would you reccomend dual booting ubuntu and Windows Xp or just using wine? Is Wine good enough?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot or Not?

My question is would you reccomend dual booting ubuntu and Windows Xp or just using wine? Is Wine good enough?

Linux Newbie
    Hi, I have run dual booting systems for several years with different configurations and the conclusion I came to was you can do it, and if your not in the habit of changing things all the time it can be quite reliable. But I would not recommend it.
    I have one PC with Windows and another with Linux Fedora 8.
    Its usually windows that causes the problems.

As regards Wine I only used it for a short while a couple of years ago and I know it has moved on, but from what I remember it depends on what programs you want to run and what hardware it is running on - CPU, memory, hard drive, from the aspect of speed.
    I found it either did not run what I wanted or was slow.
    I did not pursue that course as I had another PC I could just have Windows on.

wowbag1

Quote Originally Posted by paulthom12345 View Post
    My question is would you reccomend dual booting ubuntu and Windows Xp or just using wine? Is Wine good enough?
    I dual (or multi) boot. I would not intentionally kill off a working version of Windows unless you get really short of disk space. I never use Windows on the net but it does come in handy every now any then for driving an old scanner I have etc. Wine is good but you are running Windows applications in a Linux environment which usually but does not always work.

I'd recommend a dual boot until you are convinced you don't need Windows at all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I always recommend dual-booting. And no, Wine is not good enough.

oz
    forum.guy
    I personally recommend dual-booting if you must run Windows applications, and not bothering at all with WINE. Just my opinion, though.
    oz