Find the answer to your Linux question:
I did a clean install on Windows and installed Win Professional. Originally on the old Win Home Edition I had dual booted using Ububtu 7.04. It was updated to 7.10. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile "frequency out of range" note on screen

I did a clean install on Windows and installed Win Professional. Originally on the old Win Home Edition I had dual booted using Ububtu 7.04. It was updated to 7.10. Everything worked swell. After I did the reinstall I received my new 7.10 disk. On boot a little sign came on and floated around saying "frequency out of range". I took the disk out and tried the old 7.04 and it didn't have the notation. Reinserted the new 7.10 and waited. Finally sign went off and it booted. Went ahead and installed the system and when I shutdown , there it was again. On startup the choice screen shows up like it used to and then on comes the little notice floating around like a screensaver. It then goes away, the system loads, and I'm in business.Each shutdown and boot are affected this way.

What is this irritating little item. How did it get there and how do I get rid of it? The system works fine. Be careful with the advice though as I am no pro at this by any means.

Thank you,
    Dave

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like your horizontal/vertical refresh rates are probably wrong in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Check your monitor manual for correct rates then edit the file by inserting correct rates:

From command line, enter:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    ...edit, save, then reboot to see if it works.

If you should decide you want to totally reconfigure the Xserver, you can enter this command:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    oz

Just Joined!

Smile frequency out of range

Thanks for the advice. Problem solved

Dave

oz
    forum.guy
    Hey, that's great... glad you are up and running! Don't hesitate to post new threads with any new questions.
    oz