Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello again, I have managed to successfully partition my hard drive using PartedMargic to accommodate both Windows and Linux; however, as I am about to install Linux, its default option ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which partition(s) should I install Linux on to?

Hello again, I have managed to successfully partition my hard drive using PartedMargic to accommodate both Windows and Linux; however, as I am about to install Linux, its default option was to install on to my entire hard drive.

I clicked "manual" (to select the partition manually), and I have three options: a device named /dev/sda5 of type ext3 with only 2 gigs of space, a swap partition, /dev/sda6 also of 2 gigs, and then a device titled /dev/sda7 of type ext3 with 33 gigs. I cannot actually check the swap check box, so I guess my question is do I want to check both the /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda7 boxes, or simply the /sda7. Thanks in advance.

if you're brave enough I would choose none of the above and start by deleting those 3 mentioned partitions and then creating new ones with half of the available for /, about half available for home, and then 512mb-1gb for swap depending on how much memory you have (more memory = lower swap need)

Quote Originally Posted by Pucking Insane View Post
    Hello again, I have managed to successfully partition my hard drive using PartedMargic to accommodate both Windows and Linux; however, as I am about to install Linux, its default option was to install on to my entire hard drive.

I clicked "manual" (to select the partition manually), and I have three options: a device named /dev/sda5 of type ext3 with only 2 gigs of space, a swap partition, /dev/sda6 also of 2 gigs, and then a device titled /dev/sda7 of type ext3 with 33 gigs. I cannot actually check the swap check box, so I guess my question is do I want to check both the /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda7 boxes, or simply the /sda7. Thanks in advance.
    You need at least one partition, this is the root partition (mount point /). You should also have a swap partition. Many people also have a seperate home partition (mount point /home) so that their data is saved if they need to upgrade or re-install the OS. If you want to use a seperate root and home partition I suggest you make the root between 5 and 10GB. If you don't want to use a seperate home partition just assign the /dev/sda7 as the root. You will find the installer insists on formatting the root partition but will give you the option to format/not format the home partition.
    Hope that helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I suggest, if you're going to install "manually" some applications (i.e. not available with your system repositories), a '/usr/local' (or '/opt/' or something similar) partition... so, if someday you need to reinstall, you can keep those applications.
    EOF