Find the answer to your Linux question:
Help? Ok, I'm trying to install DAMN SMALL LINUX into a Gateway 2000 solo. The problem I am having is that the thing is so old, it does not boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installition DSL into 90mhz laptop.

Help?

Ok, I'm trying to install DAMN SMALL LINUX into a Gateway 2000 solo. The problem I am having is that the thing is so old, it does not boot from cd, theres no option in the bios and you need a floppy to do so. Well I don't have a floppy drive for it either.

Specs:
    Pentium 90mhz *aww what fun*
    24MBs of ram.
    basic cd-rom.
    *drum roll*

500MB hard-drive.

Now I can remove the hard-drive and plug it into one of the other machines and play with the hard-drive there. But I want to copy the iso or the setup files to the hard-drive on a small partition. Then move the hard-drive back into the laptop and boot from the hard-drive.

Or Somehow setup the floppy image file for the hard-drive, boot from that and put the DSL cd in, and when it boots the hard-drive, I should have options and be able to install from cd, or something like that.

Is this possible?

if it is, how do I do it?

Any help appreciated.

~Mp

I'm not sure about the minimum RAM spec ... but does this DSL Installation Guide help ?
    Maybe you could do the install on another machine and select boot options when you swap the drive back. The frugal install might work also but I think that may need more RAM.
    ... you did say any help appreciated

Linux User
    If you can pull the hard drive and get it into another machine, try installing Smart Boot Manager to the hard drive. Then put it back in the laptop, and you should be able to boot from the cd... I've put DSL on a number of old laptops this way.