Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I am trying to install Linux on my new IBM T60. It came with pre installed windows so I repartitioned the disk and freed the space for Linux. Now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing Linux on IMB/Lenovo T60

Hello!
    I am trying to install Linux on my new IBM T60. It came with pre installed windows so I repartitioned the disk and freed the space for Linux. Now when I tried to install the Madriva then it says that it doesn't recognize my hard disk. Same thing happened with Red hat and scientific Linux. None of them are able to recognize the hard disk. Can any one suggest a solution to this. Is there any driver that I need in order to install Linux.
    Thanks for your help.

Linux Guru
    If your T60 has a SATA HDD in it, you need a newer Linux build that has SATA support. Any of the latest releases should have SATA support.

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. <= Linux Release Info

An alternative is to go into your BIOS and change the SATA controller to "compatibility" mode. Note that this may cause Windows not to boot, so you may have to change this everytime you boot to the other OS.

Hi and Welcome !

Boot up from any LiveCD, open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    What version of Mandriva did you try to install? That error usually happens when trying to install older Linux distros on SATA hard drives. The latest versions of these distros should support SATA.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your replies.
    Yes, indeed the version of Mandriva and Red hat I was using were quite old. So, I just downloaded Fedora 8.0 (this is what I need but didn't try it before because some one told me that Fedora would not work on my laptop) and burned it to a dvd. Now when I try to install from this dvd then it says "Operating system missing" and just hang in there. I am unable to write anything there so can not run "fdisk -l" command there. Any help is appreciated.
    And yes, I am having SATA disk on my machine.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Does the dvd boot at all or do you get that error when the bios is looking for an OS or device to boot from. How did you burn the disc? Did you burn the dvd iso as a bootable cd image?

Just Joined!
    I guess the dvd boots because it doesn't go to windows either. Yes, I burned the dvd iso as a bootable image.
    Just now I also tried to download Unbuntu and burned the liveCD but am still getting "missing operating system" error when booting from this CD.

.iso images are Bootable by default and you should not make those bootable explicitly. Just select Burn Image to Disk option in your CD Burner package.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First