Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a dual-boot system. Windows Professional was installed first then Ubuntu 7.10 finished the system. As it stands 7.10 boots first. I would prefer that Windows boot first. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Cannot get grub to function right

I have a dual-boot system. Windows Professional was installed first then Ubuntu 7.10 finished the system. As it stands 7.10 boots first. I would prefer that Windows boot first.

I read an APC article listing the arrangement of Windows then Ubuntu. It applied to 7.04 but I assumed (probably in error) that the same command would apply to 7.10 because the installation worked the same for 7.10 as it did for my old 7.04. It said to let Ubuntu load, go into Applications, Accessories, Terminal, and type "sudo gedit/boot/grub/menu.1st" (w/quotes).When I type this all I get is "command not found". There is a screen supposed to show which I can edit by changing either numbers or default settings to get Windows to boot and 7.10 to be the choosable alternate. Screen won't pull up. Ican change nothing.

So.....I went back to the original startup screen and tried to change something on that menu that would. Nothing happened.

Gentlemen I need some advice. As you can see I simply don't know what I'm doing. I choose to stop now before I wreck two perfectly functioning systems.

Your advice please.

Press Alt+F2 and type this
    Code:
    gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    It will open menu.lst file in Gedit with root privileges.

Set default value to title Windows line no - 1.
    Let say, title Windows line is 5 title line in file. Set default value to 4.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Question Additional comment

Well, I guess I'm Dummer than you thought. If I hit Alt-F2 on startup I just get the ordinary setup stuff for Windows and no place to enter a command. I cannot find a way to use the combination while loading Ubuntu. Tried the former app/accss/terminal and typed the command and it finally asked for my password in order to make a change in the grub boot system. Hot dog...entered my password , hit enter, and ...bang,,I'm right back where I started. No screen came up.

Also, I cannot seem to enter any command at initial startup that will "take" and let me do anything. I'm terribly sorry for being so incompetent but I just must be making some simple mistake in the order of doing these things and cannot find it. Any more advice simple enough for me to get it?

thank you..........Dave

You have to boot up Ubuntu first and press Alt+F2 after Ubuntu Desktop appears.
    OR Open Terminal and type this
    Code:
    sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Press Ctrl+X, Y and hit Enter key to save file.

Just Joined!

Smile Grub Function

Finally........it works! Thank you. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Glad to help you !
    Do start a new thread if you have any other question.