Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, so I've been a Mac user all my life. I love it, it works great, it's secure and it's gorgeous. On the other hand, I also have an awful ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Troubling Install, About to Give Up

Alright, so I've been a Mac user all my life. I love it, it works great, it's secure and it's gorgeous. On the other hand, I also have an awful IBM NetVista running Windows ME (if you could call it running, it barely turns on.)

Now, on this IBM I decided to try and revive it by installing Linux on it. A few people suggested xubuntu, because it was treat my machine better. So, I tried to install it by downloading it on the PC, to find out I can't burn images on that computer.

So, then I downloaded the iso file on my Mac and burned it on to a CD as an image. Put it into my computer and it said "Cannot read. Try 32bit distribution. "

Finally, I attempted to download the 32bit distribution of xubuntu, burned it, got to the installed screen, hit INSTALL.

Then I got the xubuntu loading page, I believe, with the little blue bouncing back and forth. After about five minutes of that . .

I get a black screen with a white dash blinking.

Am I just wasting my time with Linux? I believe so.

Somebody tell me what's wrong, or I'm going back to Windows.

I've heard of a few people who had problems trying to do a graphical installation of one of the Ubuntus. If you download the "alternate CD", you can do a text mode installation from it which is much less likely to cause you trouble. Please don't give up on Linux too soon; it really is a very nice OS when you get to know it.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain View Post
    Somebody tell me what's wrong, or I'm going back to Windows.
    Tell me Chamberlain, when you first started using Windows, did you give up this easily? Of the issues you say you encountered, the first was not a Linux problem, and the second can be attributed to you downloading the wrong version. Only the last problem was likely due to a harware/os incompatibility or a problem with the .ISO burn. You said:
    I also have an awful IBM NetVista running Windows ME (if you could call it running, it barely turns on.)
    If this computer barely runs Windows, why are you surprised it barely runs the Xubuntu live cd? In order for anyone to help you, you must first not be so quick to give up. If you are that impatient then I think you really should go back to Windows. Secondly, you'll need to give more details about this computer's specifications (ram, processor and so forth). Also, can you tell us what was on the screen at the time it quit working for you? With older hardware, there are a number of boot options to get Linux live cd's working. Check here for more on this. Try burning the .ISO from Windows and see if the result is any different.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 02-03-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I've heard of a few people who had problems trying to do a graphical installation of one of the Ubuntus. If you download the "alternate CD", you can do a text mode installation from it which is much less likely to cause you trouble. Please don't give up on Linux too soon; it really is a very nice OS when you get to know it.
    That's what I've heard, and I'd like to believe. I will attempt the alternate CD. Is there a tutorial I could find to guide me through a text installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Tell me Chamberlain, when you first started using Windows, did you give up this easily? Of the issues you say you encountered, the first was not a Linux problem, and the second can be attributed to you downloading the wrong version. Only the last problem was likely due to a harware/os incompatibility or a problem with the .ISO burn. You said:

If this computer barely runs Windows, why are you surprised it barely runs the Xubuntu live cd? In order for anyone to help you, you must first not be so quick to give up. If you are that impatient then I think you really should go back to Windows. Secondly, you'll need to give more details about this computer's specifications (ram, processor and so forth) and also can you tell us what was on the screen at the time it quit working for you? With older hardware, there are a number of boot options to get Linux live cd's working. Check here for some more on this. Try burning the .ISO from Windows and see if the result is any different.
    About my computer running Windows ME, it has been so chock-full of viruses that I really don't even want to go near it again. Installing Linux was my last hope of resurrection usability on the poor machine.

Regarding the system specifications, I believe I have 512 MBs of RAM and around a 400 MHz processor. I would burn the .ISO from Windows, had I had the correct drive on that computer.

After the loading screen I am now greeted by (a very DOS appreciative) message reading: [ 207.572000] Out of memory: kill process 3655 (localedef) score 542 or a child [ 207.572000] Killed process 3731 (localedef)

I apologize I am seeming impatient, I don't wish to be so. I am only 14, my personality still has a few kinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain View Post
    I apologize I am seeming impatient, I don't wish to be so. I am only 14, my personality still has a few kinks.
    No problem. All of get frustrated with our OSs from time to time. Even Mac users sometimes get frustrated, so I'm told. Did you read that link I gave you? It appears the problem you are having could very well be with the MAC burning utility and not the .ISO image itself. Can you get to a Windows machine somewhere to burn it and see if it will then work?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    No problem. All of get frustrated with our OSs from time to time. Even Mac users sometimes get frustrated, so I'm told. Did you read that link I gave you? It appears the problem you are having could very well be with the MAC burning utility and not the .ISO image itself. Can you get to a Windows machine somewhere to burn it and see if it will then work?
    Haha, wow. I'm reluctant to believe that, but that's most likely my general biased computing choice. Still better then Windows.

I'm going to record what happens during boot up and YouTube it while I try and find a PC to use. I'm not sure anybody would give up their PC for another three hour download and burn.

Just Joined!

This sums it up.

Linux Guru
    If you are not ready/willing to learn a new OS and how computers work, don't bother trying to install Linux.

If you do want to put in the effort, understand that 90% of the time when you have a problem, someone else has already run into it. That means you can *almost always* find a direct answer or information that *helps* you find the answer already online.

I just googled: xubuntu install 'out of memory' and found lots of results with the same error you have.

A) I doubt highly you would have 512MB RAM and a 400MHz CPU - one of those is off.

B) Based on the error you're getting, I think the RAM is wrong, as the error you're getting it usually because.....you don't have enough RAM for the full GUI install.

C) You can try running a text only install or another Linux distro that is lighter on hardware.