Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install linux on a first gen iMac, and i've gotten it to install on the original hard drive. I installed a new hard drive, a 20gb, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't Install on iMac, need some suggestions.

I'm trying to install linux on a first gen iMac, and i've gotten it to install on the original hard drive. I installed a new hard drive, a 20gb, and i was able to get it to install but the problem is that it would always freeze up when it said it was loading the kernel. So i took the drive out and wiped it and then put it back. I'm trying to install linux again, but when i restart the mac and hold c it just goes to the grey screen with the folder with the question when it cant find the drive. It wont boot to the linux CD. Any idea how to aproach this. I suppose i could install the old hard drive again, but it was really small and wasn't a whole lot of use.

Just Joined!
    ok i got it to install but now its giving me another problem. It wont boot properly here's the message i get

"Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux!
    Hit <TAB> for boot options.

Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.10
    Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
    boot: linux
    Please wait, loading kernel. . ."

Last night before i had reinstallation problems i left it overnight and it stayed like that all night. Any clue what's wrong? Could my hard drive be incompatable or something?

Just Joined!
    Here's the link to the type of hard drive i have http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...81,557,00.html

im currently trying to intall on a mac also, (mine is muuuuhc older) but i couldnt get mandrake or fedora to make sense in the install, im currently using gentoo's live cd, and have been realtivly sucessful with that.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    yeah i'm having a hell of a time with this thing. i put the old HD back in but i can't boot to CD it will only show the folder searching for the OS. i think there's some open firmware command to boot from CD but i sure dont know it.

Linux Newbie
    qub333,
    Why are you trying to install x86 arch distros on a mac? I'm sure you're trying the PPC version of Mandrake, but Fedora? Fedora doesn't have a PPC distro and, therefore, won't work on a Mac.
    It's like installing Solaris for Sparc on a pc. It won't work.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    Ok got it, wierd it seems to only install when i choose to install the basic "Home Desktop" or whatever its called as oppose to the Workstation or Server.

im not trying fedora, i just ment linux, tried mandrake and gentoo, its mostly a problem getting bootx to work, when i finaly did. I would start the installer, slecet install from cd, then get an error, that it couldn't find the cd. I never encounterd a commandline in this process. (this is all mandrake) im going to try to get gentoo to install, i just have to get the correct image files for bootx.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333