Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. despite having 2 remote servers located in the US running CentOS, to serve my web sites, I actually know very little about nix! What I want to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question running linux on win xp - not dual boot

Hi all. despite having 2 remote servers located in the US running CentOS, to serve my web sites, I actually know very little about nix!

What I want to do is develop php/mysql sites on my local win xp machine (laptop) using my xp applications, but test them locally under my linux server conditions, with out having to boot to different OSs.

At the moment I have apache, php etc running under windows, but want to run them under linux while working on php scripts in dreamweaver etc under win xp - at the same time?

Today I found, downloaded and installed Cooperative Linux which seems to enable you to run linux under win xp, but it's got me totally confused, and I haven't got a clue how to make it work!

Is there a simple system that a linux thicko like me can get their head around, that will do what i want?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    You can use VMware or QEMU for installing CentOS as a Guest OS on Windows.

Even you can get a preinstalled Linux with apache/php as an appliance on
    rBuilder Online

Get VMWare for Windows, assign a hard disk to a virtual machine you created. Put CentOS CD inside your disk drive and assign it to virtual machine.

Now install the Linux OS inside it. You need to setup the internet connection inside the guest OS if you dont install PHP/MySQL package. In that case get it from the interent ofcourse after setting the internet connection from Network Manager in CentOS