Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! I would like to install redhat9, slackware10, suse9 and wind*ws XP in one hard drive, I actually have a dual boot system (rh9+winme), but I would like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RH9+Slackware10+Suse9+WinXP

Hi there! I would like to install redhat9, slackware10, suse9 and wind*ws XP in one hard drive, I actually have a dual boot system (rh9+winme), but I would like to try out some new linux flavors, so that's why I want to install all those distros. I've searched the web looking for how-to's, tutorials, etc, but I didn't find very much on the subject, only particular cases. I'm planning to reinstall everithing, so I ask this before taking off . "As usual" I guess the win installation must be first, but after that, what should I do? (assuming I only used 20 GB for this win partition and all the rest is free hd space) . I have several questions, which are the following:

0)Is there a preferred order to install them?
    1)Can the distros use the same swap partition?(is it convenient? )
    2)How should I partition my hd? How many hd space should I give to each distro?
    3)Which boot loader should I choose grub or lilo? How should I configure it?

Well, I hope somebody can help me out! Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Sorry, but I forgot to specify that I have an 80 GB hard drive

Linux Newbie
    1. yes you can share the same swap space between distros. it would be the best route for space efficiency. you can also share your home directory so your config files get shared between the different distros.

2. put things you want to access on a more regular basis towards the beginning of the hd. the closer to the beginning of the hd the better performance it gets, might be minimal, but it will still be there.

3. either one will work. however you have to load lilo everytime you change stuff. grub you don't have to change on a regular basis. also you can share the /boot partition among them too, and just put all of your different kernels in there too. just direct them to different root partitions.