Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! Of course.., I'm new! I spent nights on trying to install ubuntu 7.10 and other distros... I downloaded and burnt cds with this ubuntu, Fedora8 live, CentOS 5.0 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trouble installing

Hi there!
    Of course.., I'm new!
    I spent nights on trying to install ubuntu 7.10 and other distros...
    I downloaded and burnt cds with this ubuntu, Fedora8 live, CentOS 5.0 live, kiwi 7.10, DSL and NimbleX.
    The last one is the only that works on my machine.., in live mode.
    I believe that my missing processor is the matter of not being able to install anything; I use an Asus A7M266-D mb along with an ATI Radeon 9250, HDDs and CDs; all work just fine under any Win TinyXP I've ever installed.
    A freiend told me the video card may cause problems, so I changed it to this Download Driver Hercules 3D Prophet II MX
    With it installed I spent at least 3h30' on installing ubuntu; no error at all has been displayed.
    When booting afer installation, even the screen displays the OSes I have to choose from, if the first (linux) is selected it keeps saying "please wait..." until I restart...
    So, can it be the second processor guilty for being unable to install Linux? If so, I have nothing to do, 'cos the socket is broken...
    Help me have an explanation for it all and help me use Linux, please!
    p.s. I ordered a cd from ubuntu, thinking the one I made is broken.., but it's okay.

In order for us to help you better, we need to know very clearly what kind of hardware you're using. What's the processor, motherboard, amount of RAM, network device (wired or wireless), harddrive type and capacity, that sort of thing.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    In order for us to help you better, we need to know very clearly what kind of hardware you're using. What's the processor, motherboard, amount of RAM, network device (wired or wireless), harddrive type and capacity, that sort of thing.
    Processor(s): AthlonXP 1800+ at 1.53G
    MB: A7M266-D (with only 1 processor installed, due to a mechanical problem to the socket of 0 processor)
    DDR: 1x1G
    Network: Intel PRO/100+ PCI Adapter (wired)
    HDDs: Seagate ST38410A - 8G - (partition C: contains Win TinyXP Vista edition and all the programs installed, on just 3.26G and the rest of 4.76G I used for ext2 and ext3 - depending on the advice I followed - partitions, along with an 1G swap one
    Maxtor 6L060J3 - 60G - for the stuff I need to store. (the second time I installed ubuntu this HDD wasn't connected)
    Asus CRW 5224A cd-writer and/or
    Toshiba or BenQ ATAPI cd-rom
    There's an Asus card installed containing 4 USB ports I need for the mouse and 2G stickdrive I use to transport infos..!
    Power supply is a CWT - 450BDP for Pentium4 that works great.
    Now I have this ATI Radeon 9250 at 129M, but I've learned it causes problems when trying ubuntu and I replaced it with MX400 at 32M.
    It's the time to mention that a friend teached me to write "noapic" after pressing F6, when booting from cd; otherwise it wouldn't run!
    It's strange to me that even if I type "noapic" and press space before "--", then "return", it's not always working..!?
    Last edited by vdragoslav; 02-20-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something...

This is what I get on the display after trying to deal with:
    - Damn Small Linux:

APIC error on cpu0: 04(04)
    ...hundred times!

- Fedora 8 Live:
    Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
    _ (the cursor blinking tens of minutes...!

ubuntu 7.10

I've received the disc Canonical have sent to me; it's wors than the disc I downloaded and burned!..! It doesn't even work in Live mode, like mine!..

Any suggestions, please? :">

I'm at a loss for suggestions here. It may be that your original question (whether an empty CPU socket might be causing you trouble) is correct. Your last error message seems to lend itself to there being issues with your CPU. I don't know what else to suggest, other than a different motherboard.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Red face

Thanks for trying!
    I just spent another night on installing ubuntu 7.10 from the disc Canonical provided.
    It worked!
    ...meaning it really displayed no error at all.
    Of course, it took me about for houres..!
    During the job, I took some pictures with my phone's camera, at 640/480.
    Can it give you an idea of what should I do, if there's something left to do on this matter, if I upload the photos somewhere and give you the link?..!?
    Or it's completely useless?..???

Quote Originally Posted by vdragoslav View Post
    Thanks for trying!
    I just spent another night on installing ubuntu 7.10 from the disc Canonical provided.
    It worked!
    ...meaning it really displayed no error at all.
    Of course, it took me about for houres..!
    During the job, I took some pictures with my phone's camera, at 640/480.
    Can it give you an idea of what should I do, if there's something left to do on this matter, if I upload the photos somewhere and give you the link?..!?
    Or it's completely useles?..???
    It certainly couldn't hurt. I believe most people on this forum use ImageShack to post things.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

My ATI Radeon 9250 didn't cause any problem when I was installing ubuntu last time..; actually it showed me more of the ubuntu graphics..!
    So I finally managed to upload some photos. Here these are:
    ImageShack - Hosting :: 080223222805xl9.jpg

Okay then..! I managed to build another computer containing an ASROCK mb, some 256M of DDR.
    Tried to instal not only 7.10, but also 6.10; the last one was succesfully installed, but it blocks just after I type the password...
    The 7.10 doesn't start at all, not even in live mode..; it only shows some error coloures, as it appears on a broken tv set or so..!
    Presuming my home isn't haunted, what else should it be?..???
    p.s. The same NimbleX and the DSL work on this machine.