Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I installed suse 10.2 on hp proliant ml370 g5.The installation seemed to have completed ok but when the system reboots for post-installation configs, the server can't boot from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

suse 10.2 doesn't boot after install reboot on hp proliant ml370 g5

Hi guys,
    I installed suse 10.2 on hp proliant ml370 g5.The installation seemed to have completed ok but when the system reboots for post-installation configs, the server can't boot from the hard disk.It brings the following prompt after bios "booting form hard disk" and stays there forever. Just so you know,the hard disk is the first boot device.Has anyone had such a prob before? Or can anyone help?

Sleen.

Do you get a grub menu ? Will the system boot from the hard disk if you select boot from hard disk with the installation cd/dvd?
    Did you install the bootloader during the install process?

Just Joined!
    Yeah,I did install grub boot loader.It doesn't present the grub menu and NO, if I select boot from hard disk from the CD/DVD it brings the same thing "booting from local disk" where it ends.

I'd try the SuperGrub CD and see if you can get the OS to boot. You can also reinstall grub.

If you have a live CD you could try booting from that & reinstall grub. If you boot from a live CD then I'd check the output from
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    and check you have valid entries & they match what you expected from the install.
    If you don't have a live CD the partedMagic CD is a quick download & lets you connect to the net as well ... enough to sort things & post outputs etc ... but it looks as though it connects as root user so I would limit net access to the minimum you need to.