Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys! A family member just gave me an old HP Pavillion 8140. It has a 200 MHz intel processor, i think 32 mb ram, 4.3 gb hdd, a cd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What to do with old HP Pavillion 8140

Hey guys! A family member just gave me an old HP Pavillion 8140. It has a 200 MHz intel processor, i think 32 mb ram, 4.3 gb hdd, a cd drive, and a floppy drive. it won't boot from cd, but will boot from a floppy. Any suggestions as to how to get linux on this beast and what distro to use? I don't know much about bios's, but would there be some way to upgrade the bios to one that would allow me to boot from cd? Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by LieToPurify3 View Post
    I don't know much about bios's, but would there be some way to upgrade the bios to one that would allow me to boot from cd? Thanks!
    Check the manufacturer's website for BIOS updates. If they had one that's no longer available, you might be able to find it elsewhere with a serious online search.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks, i'll check it out!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    you might also want to look into Smart Boot Manager, it is a floppy that gives you a boot menu... so you can boot from cd on systems that don't support booting from cd.