Find the answer to your Linux question:
My old desktop pc won't boot from cd or usb. If i put the hdd from the desktop in an external usb case, and connect it to my xubuntu laptop, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

install linux to external HD, but then put it internal?

My old desktop pc won't boot from cd or usb. If i put the hdd from the desktop in an external usb case, and connect it to my xubuntu laptop, can i install DSL to the "external" hard drive, and then put it back inside my desktop pc, and boot up normally? If so, how do i install DSL to an external hard drive? I was just thinking i might run into problems if i installed it as if it were a usb drive, since it wont really be booting as a usb drive, it'll be booting as a regular hdd. any help would be appreciated!

Just plug-in USB disk and install DSL in it. It will work as internal disk in other machine without problem. Just make sure to install GRUB in MBR of External disk only. GRUB defaults to Internal Disk.
    Un-plug internal disk during installation, if possible. You wont have to take care about anything in that way.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

no networking

Working on a friends computer I had a similar problem. This was an older P4 notebook, with no working CD, floppy, and no boot on USB.

By placing the hard drive from the P4 in my notebook and installing Ubuntu, then transferring the hard drive back to the P4: I managed to get the system up and running again. (XP had been damaged by a virus.)

However, now I do not seem to be able to config networking (ASDL) for computer. I have tried pppoe and this failed. Any tips?

Thanks

O

Hi and Welcome !

I would suggest you start a new thread for ADSL problem. Give proper title to thread and explain problem in detail.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First