Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, a real Linux newbie hear. This is my first try at installing Linux. Im trying to install the Ubuntu 7.1 desktop i386 to my new PC. It has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation Help

Hey everyone, a real Linux newbie hear. This is my first try at installing Linux. Im trying to install the Ubuntu 7.1 desktop i386 to my new PC. It has an empty HD and a AMD phenom, with 2gig of RAM. Im sure I burned the iso correctly (Is this the right version for my pc?), the trouble is during the installation. On the first menu I choose the first option to imstal Ubuntu, and a loading bar comes up. When it's finished loading, a black screen appears, and says Checking battery status and Running local boot scripts. It says they are OK, but I am at a loss at this part. I can enter text, but no commands seem to work. Am I just typing the wrong thing or is something else the matter? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer, but I don't know what to do. Please help!

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, Dan101!

If you are sure your intallation disk is good, you might try experimenting with some of the kernel boot options that are available to you right before the disk begins to boot up. Otherwise, you could try using the "Alternate Desktop CD". The checkbox for selecting it is right under the Start Download link on the Ubuntu Downloads page. It's a text-based installer that works everytime for me, whereas the GUI liveCD/installer does not.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    i will try the alt disk, as im sure this copy was ok. i checked the md5sum and stuff and it seemed fine. I will post the results of the other disk tomorrow. Thanks for the advice

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close