Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've seen a lot of dual boot questions but none that addressed what I am trying to do. I had a Linux box and a Win2K box but only one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Another dual boot question

I've seen a lot of dual boot questions but none that addressed what I am trying to do.

I had a Linux box and a Win2K box but only one monitor. So, I moved the hard drive from the Windows box to the Linux box and installed it as a slave. I tried to edit the GRUB file to add Win2k as a boot option. It now shows the option but it returns an error when I select it. The only way I can boot to Windows is to unplug the Linux drive. Here's what I added to the GRUB file:

title Windows 2000
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

I got this from the from the Red Hat Linux 7.3 Bible but it either wrong or incomplete.

I'm trying to avoid having to reinstall Linux from scratch and hoping that this is even possible.

Linux Guru
    The primary slave should be hd1, right? Also check the partition number; I'm guessing it should be zero, i.e. (hd1,0). I'm not using GRUB, I'm just guessing from the documentation.
    I guess this should be right.

Linux User
    back the gravy train up!!!

If you move the drive from one machine to another you have a different motherboard, processor, ram , and everything - while some of this will not cause a problem, other things can seriously go haywire - you have been warned!! (It also might work ok, although I am 0/2 at it)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    That isn't so bad very often, unless you have a kernel specially tailored to the original. I have some machines without a CD, and to install linux on them I just plug in their hard drives into a machine that has a CD, intall linux on it and plug it back into the original computer. It has never been a problem for me, especially since kudzu does the last changes for me.

Linux User
    yes kudzu will do most changes, but if you switch processor architectures (among some others) you can have some serious problems
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, that's pretty clear, but then the bootloader wouldn't even run, so I think that would be pretty easy to notice.
    Anyway, let's not switch subject.

Linux Enthusiast
    For what it is worth, I can verify his problem. On my ex-girlfriends computer it was doing this, if the Windows drive is a slave, then grub would not boot it correctly after it was (supposedly) correctly detected at install. I never fixed this, I hacked it. Her bios allowed her to choose which drive to boot from, so one was for windows, and would load the windows bootloader, the other linux. Since then we broke up, and her windows side crashed. So she is using linux all the time, doesn't have a whole boatload of problems, but is kind of still lost.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.