Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am at the moment running Ubuntu but would really like to set up a dual boot system so that i could run PCLinuxOS off the same hard drive. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual booting Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS

I am at the moment running Ubuntu but would really like to set up a dual boot system so that i could run PCLinuxOS off the same hard drive. I have a 160GB hard drive. My problem is i don't have a clue how i might go about this procedure. So is there anyone out there who could point me to an easy to understand tutorial or provide a simplistic explanation. Thanks all

Setting up dual boot is very easy. Just create an ext3 partition using GParted Partition Manager ( Its available in Ubuntu CD ) and install PCLinuxOS in it. There is no need to create new SWAP partition because it can be shared in multiple distros. PCLinuxOS installer will detect Ubuntu and SWAP partition and setup dual boot itself.
    If you have any confusion, execute sudo fdisk -l command in Ubuntu's Terminal and post output here.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I have installed GParted via Synaptic and when i opened the program i saw that:

Partition
    /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda2
    /dev/sda5

File System
    ext3
    extended
    Linux-swap

Size
    144.70GiB
    4.34GiB
    4.34GiB

Used
    4.60GiB
    - - -
    - - -

Unused
    140.11GiB boot

Where do i go from here?

Shrink sda1 partition and create new partition. It will be /dev/sda3. Format it in ext3 filesystem. Start PCLinuxOS installation and select Manual Installation. Assign / mount point /dev/sda3 and continue installation. Installer will setup dual boot itself.

Just Joined!
    Going to seem stupid i know but i have tried to shrink/resize the "sda1" partition but the "Resize/Move" option on the toolbar is greyed out?

It looks like you have to move partitions. Could you post the Screenshot of GParted?

Just Joined!
    Here's the screen shot link:
    Click here!

Big thanks for all the help

I have installed GParted via Synaptic
    I missed that line. GParted will not work if you try to resize partition on which its installed. I mean, you should not resize / partition while booted up from the same.
    Use LiveCD.