Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Trying to install Gentoo on a new Toshiba 2435 S255, P4 2.4, 512 RAM, 40GB HD. Phoenix BIOS V1.30, Win XP loaded and running. I have followed the install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

boot hangs on Toshiba Satellite 2435

Hi,
    Trying to install Gentoo on a new Toshiba 2435 S255, P4 2.4, 512 RAM, 40GB HD. Phoenix BIOS V1.30, Win XP loaded and running. I have followed the install guide, although it is quite possible I messed something up as I have not done an install like this before (RedHat experience).

All seems to be ok, until I try to boot in to Gentoo. After I see the message:boot: Gentoo
    loading Gentoo...
    BIOS data check successful
    uncompressing Linux, ok... booting kernal the system just sits there with a blinking _ . This is not unique to Gentoo. I have tried to run the install from RedHat 8.0 with several options (lowres, text, nopcmcia, noprobe) and same results, same results with Mandrake as well.

I am currently studying for the SANS, GAIC cert and need a dual boot system to run the labs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have heard a rumor that there is a M$/Toshiba conspiracy to keep any other OS from installing? Sound crazy, but who knows about the Evil Empire!

Just Joined!

solved it

Well, got my hands on RedHat 9.0 today it works like a charm, but thanks for everyone's helpful replies, much appreciated :-\