Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried many times to install from the download disk with the live program on it and can't get past the rectangle going back and forth across the screen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't install Ubuntu on HP Pavillion desktop

I have tried many times to install from the download disk with the live program on it and can't get past the rectangle going back and forth across the screen and it quits. I have downloaded the alternate download and get to where the install is scanning the CD ROM and it quits. It doesn't exit, it just quits there and nothing else happens. This computer is an HP Pavillion with a Celeron 633 mhz chip, 256 megs of RAM, 15 gb HD, running Windows XP Pro. Any help would be appreciated. Do you need more info??
    Don

Hi and Welcome !

Which Graphics Card do you have?
    It doesn't exit, it just quits there and nothing else happens.
    Does it throw any error message or hang or display turn black?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    No error. It just hangs up and does nothing.
    There is a ViRGE adapter and an Intel 82810 Controller. I think the intel is the card that was put in because the video started to act up.

Have you tried text based installation? Try Ubuntu Alternate Installation CD.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Smile

I have tried both versions of the program. I got much further with the alternate install (I think near the end) but that quit on me too. The computer I was trying to install on has a Celeron chip and that couldn't get much worse than that. It is not as though I need to get this set up but would like to sometime switch to Linux. I have been thinking about this for some time now. Oh well. I will back off for a while and try again later.
    Thanks for you input.