Find the answer to your Linux question:
We require a custom Fedora 8 DVD iso image. Even though there are tools like revisor to create new image sets we specifically want the original Fedora 8 DVD with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Custom Fedora 8 DVD

We require a custom Fedora 8 DVD iso image. Even though there are tools like revisor to create new image sets we specifically want the original Fedora 8 DVD with a few extra customisations.

What we have done so far:
    - Created a temp directory and copied the entire DVD into this directory
    - Copied a custom kickstart file ks.cfg to the root directory of the dvd folder
    - Made minor changes to the isolinux/isolinux.cfg file for the menu, we have left the original install options and basically added two new options, one for our default installing using the ks.cfg file and another option to load a diagnostic based image.
    - After these changes we have then used the mkisofs command to create a DVD iso image

After creating the iso image and burning to DVD we are encountering an issue. The problem we have is when the original Install option is chosen from the menu or our custom install option is chosen the install starts, then the DVD is ejected and the we are prompted to insert the Fedora DVD. After re-inserting the Fedora DVD the following message appears:

"The Fedora disc was not found in any of your CDROM drives.
    Please insert the Fedora disc and press OK to retry."

The other new menu option we added works ok, as well as the memtest option. If we use the original Fedora DVD (from the original iso) the installation works as normal on the same hardware. I am assuming that the Fedora install is looking for something that is not there or something that has been changed in our version of the iso.

mkisofs command used: mkisofs -J -joliet-long -V "Fedora 8 i386 DVD" -o /home/stewart.campbell/Desktop/Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -T /tmp/fedora_8_dvd/

Other mkisofs commands we tried:
    - mkisofs -J -joliet-long -V "Fedora 8 i386 DVD" -o /home/stewart.campbell/Desktop/Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -T -m TRANS.TBL /tmp/fedora_8_dvd/

- mkisofs -J -joliet-long -V "Fedora 8 i386 DVD" -o /home/stewart.campbell/Desktop/Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table /tmp/fedora_8_dvd/

- mkisofs -J -joliet-long -V "Fedora 8 i386 DVD" -o /home/stewart.campbell/Desktop/Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table /tmp/fedora_8_dvd/

- mkisofs -J -joliet-long -o /home/stewart.campbell/Desktop/Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table /tmp/fedora_8_dvd/

Other notes:
    - The original iso file has been checked and re-checked for the checksum to make sure it is complete
    - Original Fedora 8 DVD iso burnt to DVD when installed also passes media check
    - Hardware diagnostics check out and our internal Fedora 8 network kickstart install for internal images installs ok. Normal (original) Fedora 8 DVD installs from scratch ok as well.

Any help to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Newbie
    Are both disks identical in terms of structure? including hidden files?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dies View Post
    Are both disks identical in terms of structure? including hidden files?
    Yes, the copy process was done via rsync and permissions, links, file times etc were kept as part of the copy process.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Try the command as used by pungi :

mkisofs -v -U -J -R -T -V 'Fedora 8 i386 DVD' -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o /home/stewart.campbell/Desktop/Fedora\ 8\ i386\ DVD.iso /tmp/fedora_8_dvd/

aside from that and making sure that the .discinfo and .treeinfo files are correct and present in the root of your generated ISO, not sure what might be the problem.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Dies

The two hidden files .discinfo and .treeinfo were in fact missing for some reason from my working copy. After creating a new version to make sure all files were present from the original disc (with our changes applied) and using the mkisofs command with the different command options you suggested the disc works.
    Once again thanks for your help.

Linux Newbie
    Your welcome.

Glad you got it working.