Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to Linux. I would like to install NVU html editor on this machine. I am unsure what version of Linux to download and when downloaded how do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing software on Asus Eee PC

I am new to Linux. I would like to install NVU html editor on this machine. I am unsure what version of Linux to download and when downloaded how do you install as it does not seem to have an 'exe' file like Windows nor does it have a readme or install file to click. Help. Incidentally what are 'Distros' ?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums geo-02!

Distros = distributions, meaning Linux distributions.

For minimal problems, you should always use the default package manager for the distribution that you are using to install software under Linux.

Take a look at the link in my signature for lots of information on getting started with Linux, and don't hesitate to post back should you have any other questions.
    oz

Hi geo-02 and welcome!

The EEE PC uses a modified vesion of Xandros Linux (another distro) and is kind of set up to be a specialized laptop that does what it does and that's it. That was the intent I think anyway, However you can download and install other Linux software onto it. Exe's are for Windows and are not made for Linux although you can run some Windows apps in Linux under Wine but that's another story.

To add software to the EEE PC, you have to start from the command line, but really it's not very hard. You do need to be aware of how the process works and the package names though if you are going to do it.

Open the "Work" tab, then open the "File Manager." Go up to "Tools" on the top task bar, then choose "Open Console Window." You will then be in the Linux command line. Ensuring you have an active Internet connection, type in:
    Code:
    sudo synaptic
    This will bring up the synaptic package manager so you can view apps and utilities that are available. Unfortunately, Nvu isn't one of them...

I think the best way to install is from the .deb package. Open the terminal again and type this in:
    Code:
    wget http://nvudev.com/download/nvu-1.0.ubuntu.5.04.deb
    This will download the package. After the download is complete, do:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i nvu-1.0.ubuntu.5.04.deb
    It should install without problems. Still with the console open, type in:
    Code:
    nvu
    ...and press enter. Happy editing!
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 03-15-2008 at 02:21 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Installing software on Asus Eee PC/ Microsoft Money look-alike in Linux

Thank you so much for such a helpful and quick response. I have been able to install and use Nvu html editor. My next problem is how to activate/open it without going via File Manager and command line 'NVU'. Is there a way like windows to attach an icon or hyperlink so that if clicked on it will open NVU and if so which file does one attach it to?
    My next search is to find a Microsoft Money lookalike in Linux and then coupled with NVU and Open Office I may be able to dispense with Microsoft alltogether!
    Many thanks again

Just Joined!
    worked real well for me too
    thanks for the clear instructions!

Linux Newbie
    Try gnucash or kmymoney.

Just Joined!

Unhappy another path?

i've just tried this but the path to download the file is timing out- can you suggest another? also, can you recommend any graphics software for creation of images for web pages for example?

cat

Just Joined!

Red face and again....

ok,i managed to download something but when i try to run it i get this message: dpkg-deb: unexpected end of file in version number in nvu-1.0.ubuntu.5.04.deb
    dpkg: error processing nvu-1.0.ubuntu.5.04.deb (--install):
    subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    nvu-1.0.ubuntu.5.04.deb

am i doing something wrong?

very confused new linux user

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by macavitycat View Post
    also, can you recommend any graphics software for creation of images for web pages for example?

cat
    Welcome to the forums!

The GIMP is a very popular graphics app for Linux. For some other options, take a look here:

Graphics | Linux App Finder

If you find something you are interested in, look for it in your default repositories first.
    oz

Just Joined!

Thumbs down me too

Quote Originally Posted by macavitycat View Post
    ok,i managed to download something but when i try to run it i get this message: dpkg-deb: unexpected end of file in version number in nvu-1.0.ubuntu.5.04.deb
    dpkg: error processing nvu-1.0.ubuntu.5.04.deb (--install):
    subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    nvu-1.0.ubuntu.5.04.deb

am i doing something wrong?

very confused new linux user
    I have the exact same problem with a different file , plz help