Find the answer to your Linux question:
My laptop is a Toshiba Portege 2000 - no inbuilt cd or floppy and the BIOS does not support booting from USB so I cannot install Linux from a cd. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy UNetbootin Ubuntu install problem

My laptop is a Toshiba Portege 2000 - no inbuilt cd or floppy and the BIOS does not support booting from USB so I cannot install Linux from a cd.

I've therefore attempted to install Ubuntu using UNetbootin. All seemed to go well - I got the configuration screens and was able to configure for keyboard etc etc and it even partitioned the hard drive.

Rebooting gave a black screen giving the Ubuntu, Ubuntu safe and WinXP options. Choosing Ubuntu, some script scrolled and I was asked for my username and password. The screen, however, will not accept the password - the cursor just stays where it is and blinks away. Eventually it times out without giving access to Ubuntu. (Checking the hard drive through XP does indeed show that the hard drive has been partitioned.

If I boot from the winXP option I get a choice of just Ubuntu or WinXP. Selecting Ubuntu takes me to the configuration screens but for a much smaller partition.

Has anyone got any idead what I've done wrong or even better how to correct it? I'm new to all this so please keep it simple...

Be sure your password is correct and it may not show up on the screen when you type it. Can you boot into failsafe?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Hi Mike, Thanks for taking an interest in this one

I'm pretty sure the password is ok - I tend to use rotating passwords for this sort of thing and I've tried varoius combinations just to make sure.

Trying to boot into Recovery mode is about the same. The black screen eventually gives me the name I gave at the start with a squiggle and a hash. Tried typing password here and I still can't get in....

Dave

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It sounds like you are at the terminal, have you tried typing
    startx
    Just to see if there is any error, and please post back here if you do get any error msgs.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.