Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running an Intel P4 w/ IDE 80 Gb HD (NTFS, master) and 8 Gb (Fat32, slave), but can't get recently purchased SuSE 9.1 personal to install. The CD boots ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SuSE 9.1 Personal Installation Problem

I'm running an Intel P4 w/ IDE 80 Gb HD (NTFS, master) and 8 Gb (Fat32, slave), but can't get recently purchased SuSE 9.1 personal to install.

The CD boots and begins to run the installation procedure, but stops before getting very far. The last several lines displayed say:

">>>SUSE Linux installation program v 1.6.19(c) 1996-2004 SUSE LINUX AG<<<
    Starting hardware detection
    >Block.5: get sysfs block dev data"

My first inclination was that it couldn't find my peripherals, so I disconnected all USB connections, leaving only standard mouse, keyboard and monitor connected and retried unsuccessfully (obviously).

After that I'm wondering if the installation can't partition NTFS the way it says it's supposed to be able to do, but I would prefer not to buy PartitionMagic if that isn't definitely the problem.

Any suggestions/advise? Much appreciated. Thanx.

Linux Engineer
    did you purchased or downloaded the iso's from suse.com?i think the cd's maybe corrupted...or you have hardware incompatibility and suse installation does not move on....
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!

re: SuSE 9.1 Personal Installation Problem

I purchased the SW through SuSE/Novell. As far as the HW compatibility, although I haven't been able to find my specifid HDDs on the CDB, the OS recognizes them and lists thier names and drive size under hda and hdb. Wouldn't this indicate compatibility? Thanks very much for your help.

Linux Engineer
    yes of course ,that means that your drives are compatible but are you sure that the disks haven't any "bad block" or something?maybe they are damaged and the installation cannot continue
    Linux For Ever!