Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, The Toshiba R100 notebook I just purchased on Ebay is an ultraportable and doesn't include an optical drive---and also doesn't include an OS. How can I install any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation on notebook with no OS or optical drive

Hey guys,

The Toshiba R100 notebook I just purchased on Ebay is an ultraportable and doesn't include an optical drive---and also doesn't include an OS. How can I install any version of Linux on it?

I don't personally own a USB optical drive or USB flash memory key, but I'm sure the latter will be very easy to borrow from someone in my dorm. I do own a HDD-based music player (Archos Gmini 402 camcorder) that Windows recognizes as a hard drive. My XP desktop won't boot due to some hard drive problems, and I can use the new laptop my friend left over here until one of these computers gets back on its feet. How can I use any of these to install Linux? Would it be possible to boot from the USB flash key? or from my music player? Does the BIOS work that way?

I don't think I need any specific distro of Linux at the moment. Just anything to get me up and running so I can install a more permanent distribution.

I am brand-spanking new to Linux. I also don't actually have the laptop in my possession yet. When I said I -just- bought it, I meant it--it should arrive postally in a few days. This should just illustrate how stoked I am about finally getting into Linux!

This review contains the R100's specifications, at the bottom.

Thank you, kind persons.

This link might help you out: Fedora Core 4 R100

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

Maybe you'll find something useful here
    Install GNU/Linux without any CD, floppy, USB-key, nor any other removable media
    I didn't read the whole thing, it's quiet a long read. So be sure to read it well before you begin.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Gentlemen,

While those links did appear to have the relevant information, they were almost incomprehensible to me. I don't have a thorough enough knowledge of Linux to interpret those pages. Even if I did, the process looked horrendously complicated.

Luckily, I asked around on my floor for someone who had a USB CD-ROM drive, and I found someone--so that will greatly simplify this process.

Wish me luck with my first Linux experience! Thanks