Find the answer to your Linux question:
I think i allready know the answer to this but here goes. I have Mandriva installed on a 40g hdd an XP installed on an 80g hdd. I'm going to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post [SOLVED] Vista upgrade ?

I think i allready know the answer to this but here goes.

I have Mandriva installed on a 40g hdd an XP installed on an 80g hdd. I'm going to install Vista on the 80g. Now, am I going to have to re-install Mandriva after Vista? I think so, but I sure don't want to end up installing 2 complete OP's. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post

I have Mandriva installed on a 40g hdd an XP installed on an 80g hdd. I'm going to install Vista on the 80g. Now, am I going to have to re-install Mandriva after Vista? I think so, but I sure don't want to end up installing 2 complete OP's. Any thoughts?
    We're talking about two separate harddrives, correct? I assume your bootloader is on the drive that has XP? You won't have to reinstall Mandriva completely, but you will need to reinstall the Linux bootloader after you install Vista, since it will overwrite the bootloader on there now.

If however your bootloader is on the Linux drive, you might not need to reinstall anything, just change the name of the boot option. In theory it should still chainload and boot the same way. However I've never dual-booted with Vista before, so I could be mistaken.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post

I would better suggest you to go for re installation as its pretty safe reinstall than to install it half.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Thanks guys! i was sure I was going to do both OS. Hope springs forth. Got a copy of Super-Grub and I can just replace Grub after Vista install. Looks like even I can do this! and if I screw it up? I just re-install Mandriva. where I started in the first place.

I would suggest you to unplug Vista disk during Mandriva installation and vice versa. Add an entry of Vista in Mandriva's GRUB manually after installing both OSes. Your both disks/OSes will be independent and bootable separately too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Thumbs up I have Karma

100% success! Mandriva 2009 Powerpack has a repair feature at boot that installs Grub, no fuss-no muss. I couldn't get Super-Grub to do the job, but this worked slick!