Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I want to try Linux. I dont think will be that good to start with anything else but Alinux .. so i decided to download the trial before ordering the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Yea .. but there's one little flaw.

I want to try Linux. I dont think will be that good to start with anything else but Alinux .. so i decided to download the trial before ordering the original .. I did download it .. but whereever i went .. the file size was at least 750 MB... idk about you .. but my cds are not bigger than 700 MB... Its an almost 2 year old Dell machine .. and at that time i though i wouldnt need DVD recorder.. so .. if any1 may help .. that would be lovely.. Im pretty good at web design and i want to try the stuff alinux gives.. but I really havent worked with anything else but mac/vista/xp ... so .. I know my friend is really good with Linux... (hes back in Bulgaria) where i used to live. But .. unfortunately i cant really find him on the chat to ask him about the stuff ( i guess he even changed his cell number)

So .. anyways . im sorry about that long paragraph right here.. but if any1 may help .. I would definitely appreciate it.

Thank you

Yes I am a linux noob.. i know it .. i wanna change it ... i pretty much realize its the futute.. after Vista came out .. and mac made that freakin product.. its just ridiculous.

Once again, Thank you.

Hiya Al3kSak3,
    Welcome to the forums.
    I think you'd be better served by choosing a different Distro to download for free, I looked at the Alinux website and some of it looks really cool but they don't have anything that you can't get for free. All the stuff they have listed is available to install on just about any version or flavor of Linux.
    Have a look at this link for some Awesome choices.
    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    Most of these "Top 10", are available as a LiveCD, so you can just run it from the CD before installing it to the hard drive. That way you get to test your hardware first.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    ok Mike .. what would you recommend meh ?

Just Joined!
    and please. give simple explanations about how to install it .. because as i said .. Im a linux noobass^^

Check this Link, it has a very good Distro Test to determine which Distro might be best for you.
    zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

and please. give simple explanations about how to install it .. because as i said .. Im a linux noobass^^
    Most Linux Distro's, you just burn the CD image to disk and reboot your machine, some people have no problems whatsoever, and some folks can't get past the download stage. It's kind of hard to give you detailed info on doing an install because unless you have problems, there's not much to tell.

Here's another Link with some pre-install tips and pointers, lots of good resources.
    Linux Online - How to Install Linux?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    theres 1 little problem though .. i dont have dvd recorder .. so its pretty hard..

Hi there Al3kSak3!

I don't have a dvd recorder either, but it's never stopped me from installing Linux. Most packages will fit on a CD. The present Ubuntu distribution, for example, weighs in at around 695 MB. Don't confuse how much space you need on your hard disk with how much space you need on the installation CD.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    Can you get me a link .. cuz everything I find is at least 750 mbs.. and dont worry.. im not that much of a noob. . i know that when extracted itll get up to like 3 GB hard disc space. :P jk ..

can you just gimme a link .. for real .. i cant find a less than 750 mb iso

Well, I find it on the official page here.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    Ok .. I got the Ubuntu ... I got it on the disc.. then i rebooted.. and then ... I did it in English . (i guess Bulgarian[my native language] would be a better choice .. but anyways ..) so I installed the OS and then ..I mean .. i saw the Live CD .. thats something really cool .. so then .. I installed it .. and did some things.. 1st thing i didnt like .. My resolution was pretty small .. it might go nicely on my laptop .. but .. On a table PC with 20" screen .. 600x800 pix is too low.. (i think .. ) so .. Can you tell me .. how to change that .. and 1 more thing .. then i though it wont delete my Vista.. but it definitely did .. and when my brother came back home he was pretty pissed.. so .. can you give me like a boot program .. i can easily reinstall VIsta.. then Install prob the full version of Ubuntu .. but .. can you gimme like a boot program .. or something .. thatll allow me to be able to boot Vista and Ubunto at the same time?

Thank ya all so much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast