Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Have tried to load xubuntu alternate but I get the same : Select install>kernal loads > black screen with cursor in top left. What could be wrong with my set-up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Have tried to load xubuntu alternate but I get the same :
    Select install>kernal loads > black screen with cursor in top left.
    What could be wrong with my set-up that won't let it load ?
    I have had no problem using the Ultimate boot cd, though I couldn't even get the small linux on there to load.

Quote Originally Posted by zmikeo View Post
    Have tried to load xubuntu alternate but I get the same :
    Select install>kernal loads > black screen with cursor in top left.
    What could be wrong with my set-up that won't let it load ?
    I have had no problem using the Ultimate boot cd, though I couldn't even get the small linux on there to load.
    The alternate CD allows you to do a text based install, does the install process run to completion, including grub install and reboot?
    Do you get the grub menu & get to select which option eg boot Xubuntu, run memtest etc?

If you get the grub menu and selection it could be a graphics card problem, but the splash screen has also caused a few problems for users (at least of Ubuntu).

Just Joined!
    Well the Graphics card is a SIS 6326 AGP
    where do I go from there ?

Just Joined!
    If it is a Graphics card problem, wouldn't some of the lighter versions I have tried work ?

If it is a Graphics card problem, wouldn't some of the lighter versions I have tried work ?
    Not necessarily, they will still try to use some of the graphics card capability. Did you get DSL to boot from the CD ... if the live CD works the installed version should work to.

Well the Graphics card is a SIS 6326 AGP
    where do I go from there ?
    I'd do the text based install and get the graphics card working after that. You can start in text mode, fix the graphics card configuration and then start the graphical environment X after that. ... looking on the forums you will find a few of these.

Ed:Once you have done the text based install try the normal boot and see if it works.
    If it does not work try pressing escape at grub boot menu, e to edit and select the kernel line which will look something like this ...
    Code:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=52507587-7eed-46ab-a6a6-50429fa241db ro quiet splash
    Remove the quiet and splash entries from the text then press enter and b to boot ... does the system boot?

If neither of these options works then the xserver config will need to be changed.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Not necessarily, they will still try to use some of the graphics card capability. Did you get DSL to boot from the CD ... if the live CD works the installed version should work to.
    I have tried so far :
    Ubuntu 7.10 and Ubuntu 7.10 alternate, Slax 6.0.3, xbuntu and xbuntu alternate, Fedora 8, Ubuntu 7.04 and LinuxMint 3-1
    and haven't got past install.

I'd do the text based install and get the graphics card working after that. You can start in text mode, fix the graphics card configuration and then start the graphical environment X after that. ... looking on the forums you will find a few of these.

Ed:Once you have done the text based install try the normal boot and see if it works.
    If it does not work try pressing escape at grub boot menu, e to edit and select the kernel line which will look something like this ...
    Code:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=52507587-7eed-46ab-a6a6-50429fa241db ro quiet splash
    Remove the quiet and splash entries from the text then press enter and b to boot ... does the system boot?

If neither of these options works then the xserver config will need to be changed.
    Well I tried the code but all I get is "Could not find kernel image:

Did the Xubuntu install you have just done run to completion - and just failed to start linux after reboot?
    What version of Xubuntu have you tried to install?

Just Joined!
    Code:

Now here I need pointing in the right direction.

Now here I need pointing in the right direction.
    Did the Xubuntu install you have just done run to completion - and just failed to start linux after reboot?

If the install process did not run through to completion then it is very unlikely we will be able to get it to boot. So you need to confirm what happend when you tried to install Xubuntu this time.

What version of Xubuntu have you tried to install?

From your previous message it sounds as though you may have installed a different version of Xubuntu to me - so the kernel name will be different.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast