Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
I wouldn't mind if it was just xubuntu I had problems loading, but it is all of them....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I wouldn't mind if it was just xubuntu I had problems loading, but it is all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by zmikeo View Post
    I wouldn't mind if it was just xubuntu I had problems loading, but it is all of them.
    You should find its a bit different because its a live CD you are trying to load rather than an installer. It's worth trying the boot options to see if you can get DSL live CD to run on the machine.

Just Joined!
    I did try one of the boot options on DSL, but shall try a few more now.

Linux Newbie
    Since you are having problems with so many distro's are your drives OK.
    Have you run a disk check on them etc.

Just Joined!
    Was about to try to Boot DSL again but decided to test my drives 1st.
    Am using SHDIAG version 1.25, may take a little while as am scanning disk surface as I might as well do the full test.
    I have 2 samsung SV2042H 20GB's, I have tried disconnecting one but it didn't make any difference.

Just Joined!
    The master drive passed and I expect that the slave drive will, as it is so far.
    So I will have to find another answer to my problem and have another go at booting DSL.

Just Joined!
    As I'm using the Ultimate boot cd at moment, I wondered if there is anything else on there that could help me, like maybe Super Grub disk.

Just Joined!
    still stumped and playing around with Hirens for the hell of it as I can only get that and Ultimate boot cd to do anything on the computer.

SuperGrub will help restore system boot for Windows and Linux ... but this only really helps if you have managed to install the system. Your previous problem was getting the installer to boot so you had no system on the hard drive to boot.

Unless you have a problem with the CD ROM drive I can't see why this would affect being able to boot a live CD but I guess you have completed tests by now anyway. Disconnecting both drives and seeing if the live CD boots should rule out hard disk errors causing the problems.

I'd keep trying to get the DSL live CD to work by changing boot options.

Just out of interest ... does Windows work on this system with current hardware configuration?

Just Joined!
    Windows 98 was working in safe mode, but as I had changed the mobo's and cpu's and harddrives around trying to get one computer to work, it wasn't happy .
    I also thought a format might help me load one of the linux family.
    As far as I have been able to ascertain both the CD drive and hard drives are working fine.
    I did have the small windows 98 that is on hirens cd working.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast