Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Originally Posted by Jonathan183 Sounds like you got things fixed So it was a hardware problem? I thought you had already run diagnostics on the system ... did system pass ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Sounds like you got things fixed

So it was a hardware problem? I thought you had already run diagnostics on the system ... did system pass memory test etc?
    I have things sort of fixed, as in don't count your chickens.
    The hard drives checked out okay in the old case and am using the same ones now, same Ram stick.
    Different mobo and cpu, so whether one of the old ones was to blame I don't know.
    I am installing xubuntu again as had a few problems, but at least in is installing and I know I am getting somewhere.
    No doubt I will have more problems and probably pretty soon

Just Joined!
    That is it all sorted ,
    After having problems with 7.10 alternate Ubuntu and xubuntu, which would only give me a lot of text I decided to try Ubuntu 7.04 this morning, which loaded the live CD.
    Well as that was working, I decided to install it which compared to 7.10 was a fault free process, and is now running with internet access.
    I would be using it to do this but my spare keyboard which is attached to it doesn't have a working space bar, so is a pain to type with.
    The good thing is that the cost of getting the computer up and running was a small tube of thermal grease ( 2 ) and I won't count the hours

Quote Originally Posted by zmikeo View Post
    That is it all sorted ,
    After having problems with 7.10 alternate Ubuntu and xubuntu, which would only give me a lot of text I decided to try Ubuntu 7.04 this morning, which loaded the live CD.
    Well as that was working, I decided to install it which compared to 7.10 was a fault free process, and is now running with internet access.
    I'm glad you found one that works for you. You might give 8.04 a try when it gets officially released next month. It's an LTS (long term support) release, similar to 6.06.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6