Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am pretty new to linux and everything has been smooth so far except for one minor problem...I cannot get my system running slackware 9.0 (or mandrake 9.0 or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Networking Trouble

Hi, I am pretty new to linux and everything has been smooth so far except for one minor problem...I cannot get my system running slackware 9.0 (or mandrake 9.0 or an old redhat of which i forget the version) to communicate with other computers on my network. My current network setup is as follows:
    Windows XP machine connected via wireless lan card to wireless router running a simple proxy server from www.analogx.com. This XP machine is connected via hub to my other computer, the one I want to run linux on. I wrote down the network settings that worked when the machine was running under windows xp. The info is as follows. IP: 169.254.19.131 subnet mask: 255.255.0.0 no gateway. These settings under windows xp allowed the 2nd computer to access the internet through the proxy running on my primary machine with ease. Now, when I install linux, these same settings do not work. I can ping myself, but i cannot ping the computer running the proxy. Please help!! I'll try to draw a diagram so you can see how its set up better. (its pretty simple) Also, the ip of the wireless connection on the WinXP machine is 192.168.1.100 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The ethernet LAN address on the winxp machine is 169.254.182.158 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

Cable Modem <--> Wireless router <-->WinXP Machine w/ proxy <-X-> Linux Machine

it was formerly set up (and working) like this:

Cable Modem <--> Wireless router <-->WinXP Machine w/ proxy <--> 2nd winxp Machine

Just Joined!

fix on the diagram

doubt it will make much of a difference, but it was actually set up like this

Cable Modem <--> Wireless router <-->WinXP Machine w/ proxy <--> hub <-X-> Linux Machine

it was formerly set up (and working) like this:

Cable Modem <--> Wireless router <-->WinXP Machine w/ proxy <--> hub <--> 2nd winxp Machine

Linux Guru
    I don't understand how you could not have your gateway set up. You can't route without setting up the gateway on the Linux machine. Unless you're going for true userspace proxying, that is.
    About the pinging part, isn't it just a slight bit possible that you've made the XP machine block ICMP packets?
    If I were you, I'd try to connect the Linux machine directly to the cable modem to see if that works.