Find the answer to your Linux question:
I attempted to download deja vu fonts, but the installation somehow went wrong. I tried from the command line, perhaps with the wrong parameters for dpkg. I tried also synaptic, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] broken .deb installation hinders package management; dpkg --configure -a won

I attempted to download deja vu fonts, but the installation somehow went wrong. I tried from the command line, perhaps with the wrong parameters for dpkg. I tried also synaptic, and eventually I found that the package was "broken". If I mark to uninstall it on adept manager, it suggests to uninstall so many things that I'd be left only with gnome-calculator I guess... about 90% of the installation that never depended on that font.

I think that dpkg may help, perhaps with dpkg -r ttf-dejavu or maybe --force remove-reinstreq ttf-dejavu.

But I don't know if these commands will also remove all these innocent packages that got somehow implied...

(apt-get update didn't work either; someone sugested it somewhere else).

Help will be so much appreciated! A fresh new install, so soon condemned... what a shame...

Execute this
    Code:
    su -
    apt-get clean all
    apt-get update
    Post exact error message here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    I think this part of the error is most likely unrelated but I can never know for sure (actually I was wrong last time I thought that, as you may remember)

After each command I receive exactly the same message:
    W: GPG error: Debian Multimedia Packages::Home etch Release: The following si gnatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUB KEY 07DC563D1F41B907
    W: GPG error: http://www.backports.org etch-backports Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_P UBKEY EA8E8B2116BA136C
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

Perhaps I should explain that I've directly downloaded the .deb of font whose instalation went wrong, which has nothing to do with "debian multimedia" or "backports" repositories. I think that these messages were already appearing way before but everything else was fine.

__________________________________________________ ____

EDIT: Additional detail that may be relevant for achieving a solution: some fonts are messed up, showing only squares instead of real characters. Actually deja vu works, because it was present before, but I wanted the condensed versions too - but this is no longer an actual problem in itself as I'm not using these "square" fonts in any window manager or something like it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You can ignore those errors.
    What about broken packages error? You haven't posted any? Execute this
    Code:
    apt-get install htop
    Does it throw any error?

Linux Newbie
    Reading package lists... Error!
    E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/www.backports.org_debian_dists_e tch-backports_main_binary-amd64_Packages
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I haven't posted the errors about the broken package because they don't see specific at all... adept just shows the package of this font with its status as "broken", all in caps and red. If I try to change anything else, the gui message was something about "that changes would commit other instalations and thus could not have been done" - something like it.

Now I can't run adept manager itself, it closes with the message:

"The APT Database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect APT configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem."

That's new. Yesterday it was at least running. I'm going what it suggested, the "setup" parameter.

Actually, instead I've edited the sources.list, commented the offending repositories, and tried the last command you suggested again:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    ttf-dejavu: Depends: ttf-dejavu-core but it is not installable
    Depends: ttf-dejavu-extra but it is not installable
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Alright ! In case apt-setup doesn't sort out problem, post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list file here.

Linux Newbie
    Hummm... apt-setup is not recognized as a command... but I guess (not that I really trust my guesses at this point) that it's not related. Apparently it's just something to edit the sources.list automatically, probably fixing the problem I've mentioned before, but I could do that manually, just inserting "#" before the multimedia and backport repositories.

Now, adept still runs, but with the same "broken" package and the three quarters of linux somehow implied.

ttf-dejavu is at the start "BROKEN (installed)" and the request column shows "BREAK (no change)".

Marking to remove (or purge) it will also mark the whole linux altogether (and stupidly it remains marked even if I cancel the removal of the font - this program is quite dangerous for someone who would trust it too blindly).

If I request "reinstall" instead, it marks as requested "BREAK (reinstall)", but does not imply any other package. If then if I try to apply the changes, the resulting message is:

"There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages."

(in a pop up, not in any sort of "verbose")

I think I have to somehow remove the installation of this particular package manually, perhaps going throught the actual folders and deleting the files, and then I'd have to edit some configuration/status file which may be what says to the whole program that this package ever existed. Which would only be possible if it's a text file.

I think that before ever thinking of how to do that I'll try the first commands I thought, but ready to cancel the process if I see that there's something going on with any other package than the ttf-dejavu. I think it may work if I just run it on a konsole, and wait for anything wrong with the konsole window under the aim of a xkill cursor... perhaps a super-user xkill, just in case a normal xkill can't do anything against an ongoing SU command...

Ops... now I recall..... if I kill opera with xkill... the process remains there... it would have to be done from a SU ksysguard, I think....

Linux Newbie
    I think I've found that apt-get install and things like that won't solve...

just in case anyone is curious about how many packages got involved, I used apt-get -s -f -m install -ttf-dejavu to simulate what would be the result. The output is:

Correcting dependencies... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    adept adept-common adept-installer adept-manager adept-notifier adept-updater alacarte amarok amarok-engines amarok-xine
    amule avifile-player bluez-gnome bug-buddy comix cupsys cupsys-driver-gutenprint deskbar-applet desktop-base ekiga eog
    epiphany-browser epiphany-extensions evince evolution evolution-exchange evolution-plugins evolution-webcal
    fast-user-switch-applet file-roller fluxbox fluxconf fontconfig fontconfig-config foomatic-db-gutenprint
    foomatic-db-hpijs foomatic-filters-ppds foomatic-gui gcalctool gconf-editor gdebi gdm gedit gimp gimp-print gksu
    gnome-about gnome-applets gnome-btdownload gnome-control-center gnome-core gnome-cups-manager gnome-desktop-environment
    gnome-games gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring gnome-keyring-manager gnome-media gnome-menus gnome-netstatus-applet
    gnome-nettool gnome-panel gnome-power-manager gnome-screensaver gnome-session gnome-system-monitor gnome-system-tools
    gnome-terminal gnome-themes gnome-themes-extras gnome-user-guide gnome-utils gnome-volume-manager gnomebaker gparted
    gqview gs-common gs-esp gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gtk-qt-engine gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-clearlooks
    gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk2-engines-spherecrystal gtkhtml3.8 gucharmap gxine hpijs hpijs-ppds hplip icedove
    icedove-gnome-support icedove-typeaheadfind iceweasel iceweasel-gnome-support ijsgutenprint k3b kaffeine karm
    kcharselect kcontrol kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdelibs4c2a kdesktop kdict kfind kicker kmenc15 koffice-libs
    konqueror konsole ksysguard kthesaurus libarts1c2a libavahi-qt3-1 libavifile-0.7c2 libbonoboui2-0 libcairo-perl
    libcairo2 libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libedataserverui1.2-6 libeel2-2.14 libexchange-storage1.2-1 libfontconfig1 libgail-common
    libgail17 libgdl-1-0 libgdl-1-common libgimp2.0 libgksu1.2-0 libgksu2-0 libgksuui1.0-1 libglade2-0 libgnome-desktop-2
    libgnome-keyring0 libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2-canvas-perl libgnome2-perl libgnomecanvas2-0
    libgnomecupsui1.0-1c2a libgnomeprint2.2-0 libgnomeprintui2.2-0 libgnomeui-0 libgpod0 libgtk2-perl libgtk2.0-0
    libgtk2.0-bin libgtkhtml2-0 libgtkhtml3.8-15 libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a libgtksourceview1.0-0 libgtkspell0 libgucharmap4
    libgutenprintui2-1 libk3b2 libkcal2b libkdepim1a libkonq4 libktnef1 libmetacity0 libnautilus-burn3
    libnautilus-extension1 libnotify1 libpanel-applet2-0 libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common libpoppler0c2 libpoppler0c2-glib
    libqt3-mt libqt4-core libqt4-gui libqt4-qt3support libqt4-sql librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libsexy2 libtotem-plparser1
    libvte4 libwnck18 libwxgtk2.6-0 libxft2 libxklavier10 libxul0d liferea liferea-xulrunner mencoder metacity
    mozilla-plugin-vlc mplayer mplayer-skin-blue nautilus nautilus-cd-burner network-manager-gnome notification-daemon
    openoffice.org openoffice.org-base openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-evolution
    openoffice.org-gcj openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-help-en-us openoffice.org-impress
    openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us openoffice.org-writer opera poppler-utils printconf python-cairo
    python-glade2 python-gnome2 python-gnome2-desktop python-gnome2-extras python-gtk2 python-qt3 python-uno python-vte
    qt3-qtconfig rhythmbox sound-juicer synaptic totem totem-mozilla totem-xine tsclient ttf-dejavu update-manager
    update-notifier vino vlc xbase-clients xorg xsane xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all
    xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips
    xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-cyrix xserver-xorg-video-dummy xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
    xserver-xorg-video-glint xserver-xorg-video-i128 xserver-xorg-video-i810 xserver-xorg-video-mga
    xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-video-rendition xserver-xorg-video-s3
    xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sis
    xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-tga xserver-xorg-video-trident
    xserver-xorg-video-tseng xserver-xorg-video-v4l xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vga xserver-xorg-video-via
    xserver-xorg-video-voodoo xterm xulrunner-gnome-support xvidcap yelp zenity
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 280 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

hummm..... another parameter set with something that looks like an acceptable result:

apt-get -s -m remove ttf-dejavu --force-yes
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    fontconfig-config: Depends: ttf-dejavu but it is not going to be installed or
    ttf-bitstream-vera but it is not going to be installed or
    ttf-freefont but it is not going to be installed or
    gsfonts-x11 but it is not going to be installed or
    msttcorefonts but it is not installable
    vlc: Depends: ttf-dejavu but it is not going to be installed
    If I got it right, without the "-s", it would uninstall ttf-dejavu, and it would have the only consequence that fontconfig-config and vlc wouldn't work, but they'd not be uninstalled nor anything else. Is that right? If so, and if this fontconfig-config is nothing some essential to have characters on the screen at any given time, I think I could do that and then manage to reinstall the font properly.

Is it correct?

... worth mentioning that "remove" and "negative install" (install with a minus before the package) are not exactly the same thing (contrarily to what is stated in the manual), or at least they show different outputs. Here's the one with the "negative install":
    apt-get -s -m install -ttf-dejavu --force-yes
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    ttf-dejavu: Depends: ttf-dejavu-core but it is not installable
    Depends: ttf-dejavu-extra but it is not installable
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

Linux Newbie
    I've found how to simulate the dpkg commands as well, with --no-act. But apparently despite of the --force things, even with "remove-essential" it won't do anything (even without the --no-act, of course)

I've found by adept that the package ttf-dejavu right now consists in only 6 files in one folder. I think it's probably more complicated than that, but I think that worth trying to rename or move the folder (/usr/share/doc/ttf-dejavu) to see what happens.

Any reason why it could make things terribly worse than they already are?

Linux Newbie
    Solved

What I did was to add a repository line from lenny/testing, which has some packages that were listed as required for the instalation of ttf-dejavu during the whole attempts to solve the issue: ttf-dejavu-core and ttf-dejavu-extra.

I've marked to install them, and ttf-dejavu in not broken anymore, I can install and uninstall other packages normally!

An important caveat, just in case something similar happens to someone, is that the sequence you mark the packages to be installed matter. I first attempted at adept manager, to instal deja-vu-core; again, it marked to uninstall deja-vu and half of the whole linux installation; then I gave synaptic a try, and the same thing, it said that I'd have to uninstall tons of packages... but then I tried to mark to install deja-vu-extra first, and everything was fine. No weird implications! (Conter-intuitive that "extra" has to be marked first and not "core")

Another important note: just in case someone does similar, I think is important to remember to remove the foreign repository immediately after, in order to avoid forgetting it there and eventually installing something that would be incompatible with your version.

devils casper, thanks anyway, you're always so ready to help!