Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a compete Linux newbe. No prior exposure. So I downloaded a distro that featured ability to boot from a USB thumb drive, and then tried it on my new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbe question: Raid-1 from CD-ROM-based Distro

I'm a compete Linux newbe. No prior exposure. So I downloaded a distro that featured ability to boot from a USB thumb drive, and then tried it on my new system, which features drive C (raid-1) and drive D (also raid-1).

Problem is, it showed four hard disks: Drives C, D, E, and F. Since I didn't want to screw up my hard disks, I bailed immediately.

Question: is there a distro that I can boot from my CD or DVD drive OF from my 4GB USB drive, that will recognize my RAID-1 arrays?

Yes

Yes there is and its called "Live CD" most of the mainstream distributions (in Linux) have that feature, some of them are
    -Ubuntu
    -Fedora

They will run entirely from the CD/DVD, keep in ming that because they do not install on your hard drive and run entirely from the optical media they might behave a bit slow.

I will recommend a third option, download "VMware Player" which is free then Google "VMware market place" and look for a pre-built virtual machine also free. I am assuming you use Windows and using VMware will allow you to run Linux in Windows with out the fear of damaging your previous installation.

If you have any questions just ask, if the third option seems good to you Google it first.

Good luck

Just Joined!

Raid-1

What about the RAID-1 issue? Like the old Greek doctor told his first year med school students, "First do no harm!"

bob
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by websquad.com View Post
    What about the RAID-1 issue? Like the old Greek doctor told his first year med school students, "First do no harm!"

bob
    <><
    If you are using the live cd just set your bios to boot from CD/DVD nothing will be installed meaning the array wont be used.

Installing VMware Player in Windows will only see one disk not the whole array, it will install just like any other program.

No array problems should come up. Any way if you still have some questions just ask. I would recommend you install VMware player instead, then get a Vm from VMware.

Just Joined!
    Ideal solution: install some type of VM that that my XP/Pro system can fall under (without rebuilding the system), that will not damage my RAID arrays (that is only type of HD storage I have on this system), that will allow me to have a partition for the existing XP/Pro, a partition for a Linux system that will recognise, work with, and not harm my RAID-1 arrays, and allow me to install a 64-bit Vista with full RAID-1 support and a "full" Vista experience.

For what it is worth: my RAID is from the motherboard. I think there are much more powerful RAID solutions that are built on a PCI card. My motherboard is a eVGA nForce 780i SLI (132-CK-NF7.

I'd even install another pair of RAM sticks for that capability (which would bring me to 8GB RAM, whereby only a little over 2GB would be used for XP, all would be used for Vista-64, and probably all used for Linux).

Is that possible? What are the hoops I'd have to jump through? What are the risks (to my current XP system and data)? Have any of our good readers done something like this?