Find the answer to your Linux question:
For about 2 years I've used Mandriva Linux and I really loved it, it was comfortable and simply but complex enough for me to add components and mess around with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Choosing a Distro..?

For about 2 years I've used Mandriva Linux and I really loved it, it was comfortable and simply but complex enough for me to add components and mess around with them a bit.

I now use windows and I really want to move back to Linux, I think the best way for me to get an accurate answer is to tell you what I'm doing on my computer in my every-day life:

1. I surf the web (duh)
    2. I talk in IM's (Miranda IM, I use to talk with Kopete on linux or Pidgin... I'm wondering if there's a way to combine FaceBook and other protocols with 1 program)
    3. Listen to tons of music (There is no player like Amarok, honestly)
    4. Recording music, I've heared that it could be problematic since there's no replacement to Guitar Rig (or at least not a good one?) and Cubase... not that i've heared of anyway.. (+VST plugs)
    5. Programming with Java and Visual C++ (not a lot of programming, but from time to time.. and I know it won't be a problem with Linux)

I like messing around with creative programs, graphical (gimp), video editing (not too often)..

In conclusion:
    I wonder what Distro I should choose for these uses (by the way, I use my computer at least 10 hours a day, if it makes any difference),
    Mostly I'm undecided between Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora.. perhaps Suse.... not sure, you are welcome to suggest any other distro

I have no idea about what Guitar Rig is, but for a sequencer you may be interested in Rosegarden.

I don't think there's any compelling difference between the major distributions for what you're wanting to do. They all have more or less the same software available. It's mainly a matter of which one happens to support your hardware well out-of-box, but even that doesn't matter so much if you're familiar with how to get an annoying bit of hardware to work.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Hi kokoko! A haved the same question some time ago! I have tried more distribution but like opensuse is no one! Now i use opensuse 10.3 with gnome and it`s awesome! It`s simple to use too and it have that yast tool that you can do all the job from there! Well....you are free to choose
    Cheers!
    Registered Linux user #471256
    http://counter.li.org
    Don`t give up so easy...
    calin

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
    I don't think there's any compelling difference between the major distributions for what you're wanting to do. They all have more or less the same software available.
    Bingo. I concur. The only other suggestion I have (for sound recording) is consider playing with Ubuntu Studio or BlueWhite 64, as they are specifically geared toward sound recording.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Hmm

Ubuntu studio, does this mean it is only for ubuntu?

by the way, Guitar Rig is an amazing software that let's you connect your guitar and has virtual amps and virtual mods so that your guitar sounds like just about any amp and/or effect..

BTW
    I think I'll go with Mandriva, I've used it in the past...

Quote Originally Posted by kokoko View Post
    Ubuntu studio, does this mean it is only for ubuntu?
    Ubuntu Studio is a distribution, not a program. It's based on Ubuntu but includes applications specifically geared toward music and graphics artists.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants