Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I recently installed Hardy Heron after five years of procrastination from installing the Linux OS. I absolutely love it, although I have a problem installing files, as I always get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Installer Already Running Problem

I recently installed Hardy Heron after five years of procrastination from installing the Linux OS. I absolutely love it, although I have a problem installing files, as I always get an error when trying to install anything, either from the terminal, add/remove applications software, or the package installer. It states this:

Only one software management tool is allowed to run at the same time
    Please close the other application e.g. 'Update Manager', 'aptitude' or Synaptic' first.
    Now, to my knowledge, I have none of these programs running, so I find this quite confusing. If anybody could offer any fixes, that would be a helpful step on my way to obsession with this wonderful distro/os.

If Update Manager is running, you should see a little icon in the top right of your desktop to indicate this. It should only take a few moments to do what ever you're it's doing, and then it will close down and allow you to open up synaptic.

If that's not the problem, and you're sure that you don't have a package manager open, then I'm stumped. I hate to suggest it, but a reboot might solve your problem.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy View Post
    If that's not the problem, and you're sure that you don't have a package manager open, then I'm stumped. I hate to suggest it, but a reboot might solve your problem.
    It wasn't the problem, and I am still have problems. Thanks for your help man, but I still haven't gotten it fixed. Anybody else have any possible fixes?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Have you tried using ps to check which processes are running on your system?

Just Joined!
    No, but I have been using the 'System Monitor' application. What does PS stand for?

And by the way, thank you guys very much for helping me out with this. It is quite confusing for not on me, and you guys are being quite nice about it.

If you type
    Code:
    man ps
    this explains what the command is and options you can use. If you did not know
    Code:
    man any_command_you_want_information_on
    will usually give a description and useful information. If you want further information on a command then
    Code:
    info any_command
    will usually give additional information.

You can open a terminal from the menus select applications->accessories->terminal

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys for teaching me all this stuff. It was quite useful, but, alas, I am still having problems with installation.

Since I just got ubuntu relatively recently, should I just not bother with it, and instead reinstall it, and do a full disk wipe?

No ... which processes do you have running ... if you have update-manager running this is what is stopping you installing software. You can check this with ps or system monitor. Do you have it running?

Ed: also check if you have synaptic or apt-get running using system monitor.

Just Joined!
    I have none of those running.

do you have gnome-app-installer running?

Can you post the output of
    Code:
    ps -e

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast