Find the answer to your Linux question:
I remember a while back there was a Linux distro that was simply an executable that ran within a Windows environment, but I can't seem to remember what distro it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux.exe

I remember a while back there was a Linux distro that was simply an executable that ran within a Windows environment, but I can't seem to remember what distro it was. Is it still active? Could someone provide a link? Thanks.

Hello and Welcome to the Forums jrrobbins,
    I don't know about the Linux version you are talking about, I don't think there is such a thing. But the new Version of Ubuntu will let you install it to your Windows partition by using a nifty little tool called WUBI, you can even remove Linux by using the Add/Remove programs.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    You are probably looking for Cooperative Linux.

There is a generic Linux kernel as well as other distro's that can be run on Windows using coLinux. The project page shows Knoppix running. Some of the distro's "wrapped" under coLinux are a single EXE that are run under Windows.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    You are probably looking for Cooperative Linux.

There is a generic Linux kernel as well as other distro's that can be run on Windows using coLinux. The project page shows Knoppix running. Some of the distro's "wrapped" under coLinux are a single EXE that are run under Windows.
    Very Interesting, thanks for the heads up HROAdmin. I had never heard of such a thing before this.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    It was not Cooperative Linux, I'm sure, but it will do. I'm wanting to think that it was a version of DSL or Puppy Linux, but I haven't found it. But thank you for the CoLinux link, I'm trying it out now.

Linux Engineer
    You might be thinking of loadlin. Not sure if it still does, but slack used to come with it. The DSL wiki has mentions it, maybe it also comes with it.